Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[SP] Resolution

PreviousPage 4 of 5Next

You might be able to avoid these unintended solutions by recessing that laser catcher into the wall. If I recall correctly, it would not have affected my solution.

Lol, then one of these solutions must be right!
Either way, this has been my favourite map in months :D

d2Qu8fRAE-8

The original solution by RogerL was

El Farmerino wrote:
... almost exactly what I had in mind!

and the challenge version requires

RogerL wrote:
... just one additional step near the beginning.

so don't we already know the right one?

In that case, here's some more wrongness. :D
If an aim of the challenge version is to limit the options available to the player, then this is a list of other things that are not required to complete the map:

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

Spoiler

Spoiler

4a.
Spoiler

4b.
Spoiler

One of the options 4a/b is still required to complete the map, so naturally I chose the ninja one (I'd give sicklebrick credit, but that was one of the first things I tried when I opened the map, wheee!).
The video includes a brief detour which hints at the non-ninja alternate solution.
Alternate Solution

Spoiler

Heh, I like the compact fling you did there ^^

That's it, sicklebrick, I'm making you my lead playtester from now on.

@Calmly Frenetic - many thanks for the feedback: it's been really useful. I spent a hell of a lot of time last night tinkering with the map, and I think I've got a good solution to some of the problems you mentioned. Unfortunately, Portal 2 is in the middle of another 6.6 GB download as I write (if anyone has a good idea why that might be happening, I'd love to hear it) so it's going to be a while before I can update.

In truth, it would be quite easy to get rid of all these unintended solutions with fixes like the one Roger suggested, though I'd much rather find a way that doesn't really impact too much on the aesthetics of the chamber or remove thinking options for the player. Besides, I'm totally cool with solutions like Calmly Frenetic's and the one in sicklebrick's original vid, as they take a lot of skill to execute and won't really be found by a lot of players at all. sicklebrick's solutions which involve precise laser placement where you can't see the receiver do bother me, though, as someone could easily find that, assume it to be the intended solution and rightfully have a negative opinion of the map.

Anyway, hopefully get a new version out sometime today....

EDIT: Alright, update done. I think that takes care of most of the issues, while leaving the super-ninja-jumpy solution intact.

---------------------------
My maps: Double Bill / Jam / Oval Window / Gymnasium / Gymnasium Part 2 / Minimalism (collection) / Resolution
All feedback welcome!

I'm such a sucker for this map, I've been totally looking forward to giving it another whirl. I played the normal verison a few times, and even started uploading a vid before realising that I was doing the wrong version.. but here it is anyway!

I love how you can just throw that bastard cube to the dogs and the puzzle is all reset and good to go again! Anyway, here's version 5. It doesn't seem right yet, but I felt like I was making progress.

Side Quest: Free the cube.
FJAwpvx0uMk

:lol: you're gonna kick yourself when you find out what El named the bsp file.
(That's if he doesn't kick you first. :wink: )

Note to El about the updated version :

Spoiler

Haha sicklebrick, I'll leave it there - that's complex enough for me as an alternate. You're a stubborn bugger, though, I'll give you that...

Calmly Frenetic - ha, I wondered if anyone was gonna get a hint from looking at the .bsp title - have been meaning to change it, but I always initially label them with something relating to the solution so I can keep track of which is which.

As for your note:

Spoiler

My maps: Double Bill / Jam / Oval Window / Gymnasium / Gymnasium Part 2 / Minimalism (collection) / Resolution
All feedback welcome!

bwahahah, best map ever. do more.
ud69WwKdKl4

I thought I'd throw in another solution, not better, just different.
http://youtu.be/sn13FWl82bE
Apparently, the map has been updated since I did this.

Expand for my full signature
[spoiler]My YouTube Channel: Please subscribe!
My Steam Workshop Check out my collections for some good maps
Basic Mod for playing .vpk files Needs to be updated for dlc2, but still works[/spoiler]
PreviousPage 4 of 5Next