Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[SP] Heavens Gate

PreviousPage 6 of 8Next

This map (I played v1.4) is an easy 5/5, but I dispute your "controller friendly" statement in room 1. Any action that requires quick and accurate turning isn't controller friendly. You can have one or the other, but not both.

I did not find any need for cube tossing (which isn't controller friendly, either) in room 1. I got both cubes

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
easily. It is the maneuver to get to the exit room that cooked my goose. I came up with exactly the same method that vitalnova did, but just couldn't get through in time. Obviously, he did it in 9 seconds, when you gave 10. My best efforts in countless tries got me far enough to see the cube receptacles, but not to get out of the funnel. I finally noclipped to push past the fizzlers without getting zorched. So I'm throwing the tight timing flag on this one.

BTW, I got a chuckle out of josepezdj's solution, because he threw in that completely unnecessary trip through the rooms when he could have

Spoiler
like vitalnova and me, and still made it.

Now that I'm done bitching, let me say that the design of the puzzle in room 1 is brilliant. How you got that to work at all is beyond me. I'm not sure if I did something wrong, but I ended up in the room with the second cube dropper with sideways gravity, and I was still able to continue. So I'm picking up the tight timing flag.

The

Spoiler
for room 2 had me stumped. I had to resort to reading this forum to get a clue.

Room 2 is one of the best implementations of the Towers of Hanoi I've seen in any game, Portal or otherwise.

The rotating lasers in Room 3 have been done before, and better differently, but I've played so many maps I really can't recall which one. But I love math and logic, so I loved it, too. If you want to crank up the difficulty a bit, it's modulo 4 (i.e. -1 = +3), so you only need 4 buttons. Leave three clockwise and one anticlockwise and sit back and listen to the sound of hair being pulled out.

Expand for my full signature
[spoiler]My YouTube Channel: Please subscribe!
My Steam Workshop Check out my collections for some good maps
Basic Mod for playing .vpk files Needs to be updated for dlc2, but still works[/spoiler]

I had to throw up my hands in defeat on this one. I'm just too old/slow/clumsy, I guess. I never got past room 1. I spent about two hours on two different attempts running around trying to figure out what I was supposed to do. I eventually got the general idea for getting into the "sideways gravity" room with the 2nd cube, but it was only through pure luck. I found myself particularly annoyed by the whole "push a button here to make something happen where you can't see it" concept, but I suppose that's merely a personal peccadillo.

After watching someone else's playthrough (up to the end of room 1, but not beyond), I figure my chance of executing that is pretty slim because the timing is so tight. I may take another stab at it someday.

Since the younger, faster, "ninja" players seemed to really enjoy this map, I'm not going to rate it (officially) unless and until I can finish it. The map looks good and based on the comments others have posted, the puzzles are really good so I don't want to "down-rate" it just because of my own lack of skill.

"I ache, therefore I am or, in my case, I am, therefore I ache."
--Marvin, the Paranoid Android

@soad667
Thanks for your feedback! I'm happy you liked it. Greetings to Greece

@zivi7
Exactly did that in the last update. Thanks for helping me improving the map.

@kennkong
Nice to hear from you again! For me you're representing the controller frontline and because I don't have a gamepad to test my maps your feedback is really important for me.
Let me see if I can tweak the timings a little bit. I want the solution to be easy to execute once you know what's going on there.
About the password for room2. Have you got any idea (and this goes for everyone) how to make it clearer what needs to be done. It seems that the two arrows are not that helpfull as I thought and I don't want the player to spent much time on this little "trick".
Anyways thanks for the helpfull feedback.

@redunzl
As said above, I'll definitely see what I can do about the timings. I don't want the execution to be frustrating. Hope you will enjoy the other two puzzles. Thanks for feedback.

My Maps-1-2-3-4-5-

My PTI Tests-1-2-3-
KennKong wrote:
BTW, I got a chuckle out of josepezdj's solution, because he threw in that completely unnecessary trip through the rooms when he could have just waited like vitalnova and me, and still made it.

YEAH! Man, about puzzle1 I swear I tried 1 round only to no avail! I discovered, after several hours in there, that making those 2 rounds quickly gave me more time before the laser fields re-appear again, and that's the reason of my playthrough.

Anyway, it was funny to see how good this puzzle works having those 8 worldportals; and very interesting puzzle concept as well!

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

Good luck tweaking those timings. I thought about just slowing down the funnel, since I was losing most of my time getting into and out of the funnels, but that will probably add more time riding in the funnels. The only viable option I can see is to deepen the rooms opposite the world portals.

About the password. Having the

Spoiler
is counter-intuitive. If there were a wall just in front that you put portals on opposite sides of to see through the wall, it might dawn on people sooner. If it were my map, I'd find it hard to give up such a clever device, but I would unless I could figure out a way to train the user first.

Expand for my full signature
[spoiler]My YouTube Channel: Please subscribe!
My Steam Workshop Check out my collections for some good maps
Basic Mod for playing .vpk files Needs to be updated for dlc2, but still works[/spoiler]

Hey, Markiu, congrats on a piece of art. My evening was well spent (5-6 hours on the whole). I really enjoyed that.

Thanks for feedback :) I'm happy you enjoyed it.

My Maps-1-2-3-4-5-

My PTI Tests-1-2-3-

Very nice map! I started for a quick play and spent almost 6 hours on it.

Room #1 was definitely the most difficult, I had to take a hint for the very last part (

Spoiler
).

Top quality map, even though I'm still stuck on room 2. The password for room 2 was quite annoying though. I can produce a glitch in room 2 where the first cube does not fall from dispenser. Just put a portal under the dispenser and a portal in the second hall and push the button.

DONE!!!!!!!! Oh my God Im exhausted... I've finished it in 5 hours...and I have to tell you marKiu...that was Brilliant but also pain in my ass map :) From me 5/5 - no doubt! But here some my observations:

ROOM 1. For me...the most difficult. I needed perfect timing but after (more or less) 50 attempts I've finished it... that was really annoying...

PASSWORD TO ROOM 2 - It's funny but had no freaky idea how to get to 2 ROOM.

Spoiler
I got some grey hair because of that :)

ROOM 2 I totally agree with josepezdj...it was PURE PUZZLE nothing to add. Difficult but wiht no timing, ninja jumps etc. just thinking...and I loved that :) great job!

ROOM 3. Here I have to say...that at first I wanted to solve that in my head...but I was so tired after other two rooms that I was pushing buttons and hoping I have luck today... and Indeed I have :)

Conclusion strong 5/5 map. One of the best what I've played. Personally you placed for me somewhere between Chander and Jonatan. W8ing for your new maps :)!

PreviousPage 6 of 8Next