Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[SP] Heavens Gate

PreviousPage 5 of 8Next

@ marKiu
Thank you for your answers. I have some ideas for new maps

hi guys (sorry for my english :( )
haven't played portal quite a while and now starting again with some custom maps
finding this one and it blew my mind, very nice

the reason i registered at twp is that i want to show my "wrong" solution for room 2
i figured this out before the "real" solution
maybe you should prevent people from doing this .. or is this even a legit solution?

QFeSzYLGHbI

@gum
thanks for the video dude.. nice skills there.
i moved the button in the last update to prevent any kind of cube throwing and
i tried to imitate your solution but i wasnt able to hit the button once..
as i said before cube throwing should never be a legit solution ill fix that soon.
thanks for your feedback.

My Maps-1-2-3-4-5-

My PTI Tests-1-2-3-
RogerL wrote:
And I didn't understand why you used reflector cubes for parts of your map that had no lasers.

Probably for the textures so you could tell which cube was from what area to avoid confusion? My guess...

Szieve wrote:
Probably for the textures so you could tell which cube was from what area to avoid confusion? My guess...

Yeah! That's my guess too. I remember the cleanest one was the first cube in the first room of map2. Anyway, the 2nd and 3rd were similar...

MarKiu, I guess you could have used more cube types, maybe avoiding the companion as it has special meaning (usually have to carry it with until the end of a level), as the regular cube: clean and dirty.

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

i'm glad i could help :)

marKiu wrote:
as i said before cube throwing should never be a legit solution

don't you have to throw the cubes in room 1 ? ;)

@gum

marKiu wrote:
i think cube throwing on a target should not be used as a puzzle element because of the randomness in execution.

maybe you missunderstood my words... in my opinion throwing a cube at maximum range on a tiny target is kind of random. and randomness should never be used in any kind of puzzles. (of course you can say that aiming on tiny targets requires skill and every good egoshooter player will share your opinion. but if i wanted that id play angry birds or counter strike and not portal2.)
in puzzle1 you had to throw a cube to let it pass a laserfield. i would say this was more like an enhanced drop :D

@josepezdj & Szieve
yes youre right! avoiding confusion were my thoughts here. im currently uploading a new version with three diffrent cubes in puzzle2.
i think rogerL was confused about the reflectorcubes in the mainhall. the unfinished version of heavens gate had three lasers in the mainhall to open the doors. but i deleted them because i liked the solution with the passwords. i simply forgot to change the droppers afterwards. i havent changed it in the new version because i think reflectocubes look better if u place them on the lighted squares.

My Maps-1-2-3-4-5-

My PTI Tests-1-2-3-

Sick stuff. You almost made me hate world portals with a passion on that first puzzle :P, but everything was just so awesome to give up. The other two puzzles were less frustrating for sure. Impressive design, as your first map. Thanks and cakes for making this!

Szieve wrote:
RogerL wrote:
And I didn't understand why you used reflector cubes for parts of your map that had no lasers.

This wasn't really meant as a criticism of the map but just an odd thing that I noticed. I understand that a mapmaker could choose a cube-type on the basis of aesthetic reasons alone. I'm no mapmaker, but I believe the standard weighted cube also comes in a "clean" and a "dirty" version. That's why I thought it was odd. Sometimes these oddities add up to give you the feeling that the mapmaker doesn't know what he or she is doing. I never thought that about marKiu, but I thought it was worth pointing out.

Probably it might be even better if one of the reflector cubes was replaced by a normal cube. Then you'd have a normal cube, a clean reflector cube and a dirty reflector cube and could easier remember which cube spawned in which area.

PreviousPage 5 of 8Next