Please or Register to create posts and topics.

So, let's say I take the ASHPD out of AS...

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next
SL89 wrote:
Nightgunner5 wrote:
"I have an infinite capacity for knowledge and even I don't know what's going on out there." IIRC

EXACTLY!

There's a big difference between hearing about events and knowing enough to put them together. For instance, imagine I'm sitting in my house and suddenly my kitchen window is blown in by an explosion. Out another window, I hear someone yelling "The Pineapple is loose! The Pineapple is loose!" And finally, I hear the Rolling Stones' "Jumpin' Jack Flash" booming at 125dB from my basement.

Now, I certainly know about the events that I can sense. However I have absolutely no clue as to what is actually going on--i.e. what is causing those three events.

So, in short, GLaDOS knew that apocalyptic events were occurring outside. However, she didn't know the cause or the root of the events.

Now with 100% more inline comments!
Nightgunner5 wrote:
Would it work in the outside world, or is there something inside Aperture Science that causes it to work?

As far as I can tell, portals can be placed on 3 surfaces:
Concrete
Conversion Gel

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

and certain types of tile
Spoiler

this applies outside of the facility as well.

Spoiler

Keep in mind what the conversion gel was made out of too. ;)

There is a bit of insight as to why the portal gun was never released outside the lab within the game. I don't think there is anything specific that would prevent it from working beyond what yinyangyan points out. That means the uses are limited in an organic world.

Spoiler

I read in The Final Hours of Portal 2 that they were going to have puzzles where you have to bring canisters of antimatter from Point A to Point B without breaking it or letting it touch the floor. And the word "quantum" gets thrown around a lot in-game when talking about the portal gun, perhaps Aperture has an antimatter power generator and they use quantum entanglement (simple english wikipedia linked because it has a less complex explanation of what QE is) to bring some of that power to the portal gun?

Yeah, I heard and read "Quantum" a few times in Portal 2.
Points to be made:

1: The reason why the Portal Gun wasn't released is because GLaDOS killed everyone and GLaDOS is obsessed with product testing so she won't think about releasing it.

2: The only surface that I've seen that doesn't like portals is Metal. There could be more surfaces that could or couldn't work.

3: There isn't any inside resource keeping the Portal Gun functioning. (As MaxPM said)

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]
MasterLagger wrote:
2: The only surface that I've seen that doesn't like portals is Metal. There could be more surfaces that could or couldn't work.

Like glass, fluids...

Test Chamber 74:
(percentage calculation sphere self-test failed!)
108.1% done, -8.1% remaining...
Released here!

All maps for Portal (1/2) worth playing are mirrored here.
MasterLagger wrote:
2: The only surface that I've seen that doesn't like portals is Metal.

or wood or glass...

-= Check out my maps: workshop, and their .vmf sources: homepage =-

Well, before Portal 2 it wasn't so obvious, but after completing Portal2's single mode:

Spoiler

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]
DaMaGepy wrote:
MasterLagger wrote:
2: The only surface that I've seen that doesn't like portals is Metal.

or wood or glass...

I can remember that you can put a portal on a wooden surface. Not many maps use this, though, but I can recall one map for Portal 1 which was all about flinging under the sky and there were wooden surfaces everywhere.

Test Chamber 74:
(percentage calculation sphere self-test failed!)
108.1% done, -8.1% remaining...
Released here!

All maps for Portal (1/2) worth playing are mirrored here.

I'll admit that I never shot a portal at glass. :lol:

Actually there is one more surface that works that wasn't added: Brick Walls. In the 1950's Aperture area in Portal 2 there are some doorways that have been sealed off with a brick wall painted white. I don't think it was Conversion Gel on the door because they were in the areas before the Conversion Gel was introduced. Anyone else recall seeing those?

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]
PreviousPage 2 of 4Next