Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[Release] Tasty Treats: Chamber 01

PreviousPage 3 of 5Next

fantastic map, but some parts were confusing, like when you need to get the two cubes out of the fizzler room. I just randomly put a portal behind the camera and it broke the glass. another confusing part was the boss battle, like many other people I beat it by accident while not knowing how I was supposed to beat it.

Pretty fun map. Large with a variety of puzzles. Random notes:

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

Well that's just me. The map was still very cool, with the custom sounds and pink lasers and everything. :D

I haven't played much of it yet, but I think the coolest thing is that you have your own look and style to it, while it still works with what valve's theme is. I think this is one of the most important things in custom maps.

Just finished it, and I thought it was a great map. Thanks for making it 8)

Just wanted to send out thank yous to all for the support and excellent feedback. In particular Taco's and some of the others' critics really helped me to refine the map to where I feel content and proud of the product. Also big thanks to infernet89 for his speedrun video. It def gave some insight to what everyone was talking about in their reviews as to what needed to be addressed and fixed. Plus speedruns and play-thrus in general are a lot of fun to see-- nothing like watching how players interact with the environment, puzzles and challenges you've set out for them.

I hope version 1.5 of the map has a better vibe as far as the end boss battle concept goes-- I tried to implement a similar concept with a more obvious solution. Additionally, I've tweaked the map here and there; the "box-jump" room now has slightly more portal technique if desired-- the gaps in that one particular fizzler was corrected-- etc. I tried to deliver something traditional yet unique and fun. I think Portal's greatest achievement is the way it gives freedom to the player to navigate a given environment however one chooses; and I challenged myself to give the player different methods for puzzles to be completed with not just one concrete solution...

Well enough talk; I'm a get to playing all the custom maps I've missed inbetween...

I've also started on the initial concept and design for the next Chamber-- and been thinking of trying my hand at a TF2 map as well... we'll see. 8)

"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions." -Albert Einstein

The only problem i found was that you could just barely portal behind a spinning fan in the area just after the turrets, and only on the ceiling too. I did this thinking it was a way out, and after that i couldn't get out of the area since i couldn't reach the ceiling, so i had to run into the fan and kill myself.

Very nicely done. A fun, challenging experience all the way through for me.

Spoiler

FISHY CRACKERS wrote:
The only problem i found was that you could just barely portal behind a spinning fan in the area just after the turrets, and only on the ceiling too. I did this thinking it was a way out, and after that i couldn't get out of the area since i couldn't reach the ceiling, so i had to run into the fan and kill myself.

hmm, I honestly am confused with your comment; I just went back and played the level to see if I could find what you were saying; I wasn't able to portal behind the fan-- and I know I placed "no_portal_volumes" behind the fan--- so I'm trying to understand how you accomplished this? Did I miss a spot? or am I looking at something completely different than what you're saying-- perhaps a screenshot or video clip would help-- thanks.

and Kokoyote; as for what you wrote; very glad you enjoyed the experience-- you seem to have had the ideal run through the map...

Spoiler

I've learned tons from all the feedback and just designing for Portal in itself is a lesson and a half to say the least-- Portal mapping is obviously rather tricky than say a deathmatch or everyday shooter --- but I enjoy the challenge and the outcome.

"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions." -Albert Einstein

Nicely done for the most part, some areas felt a bit out of place and i was wondering why the 2 side parts are in pitch black(?).

Anyway, i found a problem:

Spoiler

Good overall so i give you a:

Red Cube, Blue Cube, Green Cube
Grey Button, Blue Button, Green Button
Talgoran wrote:
Pretty fun map. Large with a variety of puzzles. Random notes:
Spoiler

[/spoiler]

Spoiler

and one last thing

Spoiler

Portal Magazine WIP.
The device has been modified,so you has been PWNED!
PreviousPage 3 of 5Next