Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[Release] Tasty Treats: Chamber 01

PreviousPage 4 of 5Next

This is a really fun and great map, good environment design and tricky puzzles. The behind-the-scenes areas had great mood. There are a couple of dodgy parts: For example the box-climbing room reminded me of similar levels in the original "Doom", and I'm not sure that's a good thing. Portal is a puzzle game, not a platformer. :P Additionally, being able to break glass with objects is not always obvious and can take time to figure out, especially as there are also unbreakable glass walls in the game.

The level design is worth a praise, but the map suffers from the same disease plaguing most user-made maps out there (not limited to Portal): Lighted Rooms With No Lighting Fixtures. As a student of architecture I'm very interested in the believability and style of the level design, and the rooms and hallways with no lighting fixtures but still illuminated (with magic?) always catch my eye, although in this case these scenes are fewer than most maps. ;)

Another annoying thing to me is illogical and confusing level design. In real world nobody would build a research facility consisting of corridors and rooms after another, it would be very frustrating for the guy working at the last room to walk 12 kilometers to his desk every morning. :P But this doesn't apply as much to Portal, as the test chambers are designed solely for portal puzzles and need no logic. Overall this is a very, very good map.

Huge success.

Good map, and a unique design, but I ended up giving up after

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
I even tryed noclipping to see if I could do anything. You should really of made the areas a bit more obvious. In the end, I give it a 7.5/10.

the_grim wrote:
:blah: suffers from the same disease plaguing most user-made maps out there (not limited to Portal): Lighted Rooms With No Lighting Fixtures. :blah:

You're right, there aren't any lighting fixtures, but there are plenty of light sources

Lamps aren't the only things that can light up a room.

I don't lag, I own so much it takes a few seconds for the server to figure out what the hell I just did.
appunxintator wrote:
You're right, there aren't any lighting fixtures, but there are plenty of light sources

Lamps aren't the only things that can light up a room.

Well I didn't see very many windows in there either. :P My point being, there wasn't always a light source.

I just played through again, and I see what you mean.

I don't lag, I own so much it takes a few seconds for the server to figure out what the hell I just did.

It's a decent map, but I have no idea how you

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
. Because of the floor-to-ceiling fizzler, it's almost impossible. I eventually had to use ent_create_portal_weight_box to do it.
And I remember that from the original game, when you first meet the Rocket Turret, it's impossible to get it to kill itself.

The Vital Apparatus Vent will deliver a Weighted Companion Cake in Three. Two. One.
*fifty cakes fall out*
Time out for a second. That wasn't supposed to happen.
WackoMcGoose wrote:
I cheated.

have you played ANY portal map without cheating?

do NOT click this

^
|
|
| N00b one post above me.

And yes, I always try to play a map fairly. I only use cheats as a last resort.

Keep the flames out, thanks. --msleeper

The Vital Apparatus Vent will deliver a Weighted Companion Cake in Three. Two. One.
*fifty cakes fall out*
Time out for a second. That wasn't supposed to happen.

thats funny. i'm done here.

do NOT click this

then i figured fuck that...

WackoMcGoose wrote:
[noc]

i was gunna let you realize your ignorance on your own, but then i figured this was less than likely.

you've only been here since July 22, made less then 40 posts (most of which are about how you cheated at the game), cannot beat (or even seem to play) the game without cheating, and go around insulting the regulars here, and i'm the noob?

get bent retard. learn some respect. learn to play without cheating. and then learn to stop shitting up release threads. thanks.

do NOT click this
PreviousPage 4 of 5Next