Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[Release] My first Puzzle map.

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next

ofc I was being sarcastic.. and I fixed the map... but it is too hard for people, as neither of the two tried to solve it the way it was intended, I am thinking that one of the secrets in the map is just too hard for anyone to figure out.

Oh well... I should be more obvious I guess. I fixed the two doors that had the "touch opens" flag. But I won't release it. I will make "simpler maps". Instead, I'll post a video of the "walk through" soon.

Q-

Simple? Here's a tip, sit back and think...."if I didn't make this map, what clues are in it to help direct me to finishing it"

Obviously since we didn't then you failed.

Also you have a glitch in the top section of the map. Theres a small shelf with a portal wall that leads into another edge wall. But its very easy to see from inside the main chamber.

That isn't a glitch, it was intended as THAT is where the boxes are that you've seem to have missed.

Also... I am very observant, if you looked at everything while playing you would notice something pecular about a certain wall. And its not out of the way, infact you should pass it many times. ANYWAYS... watch the video when I upload it to youtube and you will see how this map should have been played.. =( Friken entity flags pffft! Ruined everything.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Qhz_GsGeYew

Edited for Link.

If you haven't listened to the commentary for Portal, you should. Basically, if you didn't have people play test your map, you probably should have.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Secret buttons?! Do you give the player any hint as to what he's supposed to be doing? Your objectives should be clearly visible in the map itself without the use of game_text entities.

http://www.dpgames.co.uk/

Sanity is not statistical.

I remember when playing games like doom, ROTT, and quake... you actually had to solve puzzles like this... its what made them so much fun, WHAT has happened to the community today? Its like people have become less clever over the past 10-15 years... Like mentally lazy...

Shooting walls to see if they open, pressing odd things on floors and walls to activate secrets, ahh... those where the good old days when using your mind to solve a puzzle and not having to rely on "getting something just right" in order to pass a level...

There was this one game called "Eye of the Beholder" it had a dungeon in it where you could not sleep... and monsters would randomly attack on a periodic basis, and in order to get out, you had to figure out how to open the door, no clues, no hints... you just "tried" stuff and see what would happen. Well in the room there was a combination of 9 buttons in a square on the floor, not really noticable unless you lookd directly at them. Wel placing items on certain squares actually unlocked the exit door. It was very challenging to accomplish such a puzzle.

Oh well, my point? I guess I had too high of expectations in cleverness with the average person these days... so disappointing.

Well... I hope that I don't offend anyone, but it seems that the gaming world has forgotten certain aspects of these games, their tricks and sneakiness.

From now on, I will make these map so that even the retarded can solve them.

It didn't cross your mind for a second that those things you describes were mostly because of engine limits?! well, we're in 2007 now. Make a map that looks nice, not like that box you have there. if you want to make boxes with doors and random secret buttons on random walls, go map for Doom. This is Portal. You're supposed to make nice looking maps which require you to think with portals. all you have is two fling jumps separated by secret(!) objectives. Your map could as well be on one floor. The only elements which serves Portal justice in this map are the fling jumps.
[/rant]

you prefer Eye candy over mental stimulation, tell me, Do you masturbate too?

"omg this map isn't pretty"

So you are saying that I should make a room utilizing all of the eye candy in the game, and the player would have to use just 1 portal to get to the door, or put a box somewhere and they can solve the puzzle... AS LONG AS THE SYSTEM LOAD DROPS YOUR FRAME RATE BECAUSE IF EYE CANDY THEN YOU'LL THINK THAT MAP IS THE BEST? Is that what you are saying, that you prefer eye candy over puzzle difficulty? So what will you say about that guy that wanted to create "a room that changes its walls when you walk through it"

Will you get dizzy and forget where you put your lotion?

User has been warned for this post: Keep your flames to yourself.

If you can't understand it, let me tell you. Both graphics and gameplay can be in the same map. Did you get that?! It's not surprising to me that your map lacks both, really.

One of the prime skills of a mapper is to accept criticism! You, however, manage to remove any hope of you having that skill. When you get a post criticizing your use of 80's technology puzzles, you reply:

Quote:
I guess I had too high of expectations in cleverness with the average person these days... so disappointing.

Is cleverness defined by running around like a retard pressing use on the walls?

Quote:
It seems that the gaming world has forgotten certain aspects of these games, their tricks and sneakiness.

Alright, tell me where tricks and sneakiness fits into your map. That's right. Nowhere. You just press use on the walls until you find some stupid secret button and it says "Phase 2: Secret button found". Secret button. You deliberately hide the solution from the players. You also claim to make the map more challenging. That is so wrong as it can be. What it does is make your map to tedious to even consider playing.

And next time to want to try to be funny and post a masturbation insult, go back to 4chan.

i think everyone is just trying to help here, so there's no need to get angry. i can enjoy a good secret finding map style, look how popular Myst was, but the reason i didn't find them was because i didn't have to to finish the level. i'm sure you will correct this next time and put up a pretty frustrating map. i look forward to it.

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next