Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[RELEASE] Maybe Black Mesa

Page 1 of 3Next

Hey guys, check out my new map "Maybe Black Mesa". Its can be pretty difficult and previous experience with custom maps is definitely helpful! Hopefully you all find it fun, though.

You can get it http://forums.thinking.withportals.com/dload.php?action=file&file_id=176

Basically it's you going into the reverse engineering department of black mesa, where they are clearly ripping off aperture equipment, and stealing back the portal gun while trying to escape.

Be aware that it shares many textures and models with HL2 so you may have to have that owned and installed to play it. If you are having trouble in that area, i appologize but it was the only way I could pull off the look.

Ok, so I've finished playing through - I really liked the concept of the map and where you were going with a bit of original story; unfortunately, the execution of the map was annoying/frustrating at times.

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

as for the concept, 100% win. execution was lacking. Fun map, except for the damned energy pellet crap. turrets were fun (i like turrets too much haha) and the custom voices were nice. i loved the ending, that was phenom. it took me 2 tries to get outta the trash compactor... you NEED portal bumpers. A LOT. a few more things i'm leaving out though. nice map.

-JLipimpski

This was my first map i ever made, so I am definitely taking these criticisms and digesting them fully for any future maps I make. It was difficult to make everything super obvious and keep with the whole "black mesa / not holding your hand" theme. Things like

Spoiler
not being so obvious was something I tried to remedy with audio and visual clues, but is obviously still lacking. As for cubemap placements, textures, entity work, etc, I'm sure with any future maps I will be a little more confident in what I'm doing with that.

Sacuur wrote:
Things like
Spoiler
not being so obvious was something I tried to remedy with audio and visual clues, but is obviously still lacking.

Yeah, without indicator strips, it would probably help if you could see the door from the button - even if if you were behind a grate/glass/etc.

taco wrote:
Yeah, without indicator strips, it would probably help if you could see the door from the button - even if if you were behind a grate/glass/etc.

very nice job. pretty orriginal concept. could use some work (basically the parts that have been listed) i'm gunna play through it again before i make more comments. but first off the only things i want to mention here are

Spoiler

but anyway i'm gunna try to replay this so its fresh in my mind if i have anything else to add

do NOT click this

Played it again and remembered another thing that bothered me - ladders.

If you are going to have ladders, either make them usable or have them break when the player touches them.

taco wrote:
Played it again and remembered another thing that bothered me - ladders.

If you are going to have ladders, either make them usable or have them break when the player touches them.

agreed: i tried for about 10 minutes to climb the damn ladders

Spoiler

do NOT click this
rellikpd wrote:
agreed: i tried for about 10 minutes to climb the damn ladders
Spoiler

lol. I thought people would kinda try em once and realize it doesn't work. Dam, o well. next time.

And taco seems to abhor the map for some reason. hah. That's ok in my book, it can be very frustrating and things he is pointing out are valid. Anyway, here's a "solution video" to it that i put together. You can see how I did the trash compactor. I'm sure there are alternate methods to do things
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7AVWlIVPL78

Nah, I don't abhor the map. I actually really like the story elements and general concept and flow of the map. I just think that there are a number of things that could be edited/fixed to take it to the level of "wow, what a great map".

Page 1 of 3Next