Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[RELEASE] Extra Cubes & Buttons

Page 1 of 7Next

I was looking around and decided that the basic cube dosen't really have much change in it now does it?

So i just spent the last 4 hours creating 3 different cubes, which are each different colours and have different pros and cons.

On the right: In red, is the Weighted Hot Storage Cube. This little guy will deal burn damage to ya if you go near him

In the middle: In blue is the Storage Cube. He ain't been weighted and so he's amazing light.

On the left: In green is the Overweighted Storage Cube. This guy is heavy, so heavy you can't even lift him with the mini-grav gun.

Now we got a new comer, he's in a weird greenish colour, he is the Weighted Repulsion Cube. If touches another cube, it'll be blown away and could be used to launch the player into the air.

(Repulsion cube is highly suspectible to not working properly)

EDIT: Added pictures

And now, with these amazing coloured cubes. You get buttons!

First, we have the 1500-Megawatt Aperture Science Extra Heavy-Duty Supercolliding Superbutton which comes in a lovely green colouring and can only be pressed via its green correspoding cube.

Secondly, we have the 1500-Megawatt Aperture Science Normal-Duty Colliding Button which can only be pressed be a non-weighted storage cube(blue).

Thirdly, we have 1500-Megawatt Apeture Science Heavy-Duty Supercolliding Superbutton (Professional Edition). Yay for grey

I included a .vmf for those wanting to see how it worked. Just install in the portal/portal folder and load it up via the console.

Download Skin 1

(Delete older versions)

Download Skin 2

Different look for the second skin.

Custom Sounds

Custom GLaDOS lines for explaining each cube and its function. (Partially thank Ricotez for it)

Known issues:
-The cube is now consider a prop_dynamic and so needs to be on physics override

Now...how long will it be before i see a map including these? =)

Red Cube, Blue Cube, Green Cube
Grey Button, Blue Button, Green Button

Pictures or it didn't happen. :D

Currently working on Darksiders 3.

Those are awesome, really. However, I fail to see how a normal cube or a green cube wouldn't be able to press down the blue button. After all they weigh more than the blue cube...
Maybe if the blue button was on the ceiling or on a wall, and the blue cube was able to float?
Otherwise, what would happen if you drop a green cube on a blue button? the button gets crushed down and breaks? :)

The blue button essentially has levels on the inside of it. When the blue cube is put on it, it goes to level 1 and the door/switch activates but when a green or normal cube is on it, it goes to level 2 and the door/switch dosen't activate.

Thats my excuse anyway

On a side note, your idea intreages me...i'm going to go make a floaty cube.

Physics override sucks. I've experience a puzzle where you have to put a radio on a failing button. The radio must be a physics override. The problem are those physics override sleeps without triggering anything, and it is caught in a loop:
The radio goes on the button.
It triggers.
The button goes down.

1 second.
The radio sleeps.
It untriggers.
The button goes up.
The movement unsleeps the radio.
It triggers.
The button goes down.

1 second.
The radio sleeps.
It untriggers.
The button goes up.
The movement unsleeps the radio.
It triggers.
The button goes down.

1 second.
The radio sleeps.
It untriggers.
The button g...

I don't know how to fix that. This bug is very visible in game, and the triggering sounds of the superbutton makes it worse.

Made Logic Portals in early 2008. Making diportals in 2011.
Author of Minecraft mods (MAtmos, Minaptics, NoteSlider) and Garry's Mod addons (Gunstrumental, SharpeYe, GarryWare, DepthHUD).

Ignore this, i fixed it.

the pictures look awesome, can't wait to play a map using these new elements :wink:

Test Chamber 74:
(percentage calculation sphere self-test failed!)
108.1% done, -8.1% remaining...
Released here!

All maps for Portal (1/2) worth playing are mirrored here.

I had to remove the download because it was erroring out, please re-upload it. Thanks.

Otherwise, very awesome, I hope you fix the download.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

I'm not liking the cube skins. They look very...out of place. Perhaps some of the cube should remain the gray color while just having select areas be the new color, like the center circle.

or even better, why dont you change the drawing on the decal?
I mean, the weighted companion cube has an heart, the heat cube could have a flame, the overweight something similar to this:
The light cube could have the drawing of a cloud, and the repulsion cube... a pinball bumper maybe? :roll:

Page 1 of 7Next