Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[Release] bs01

PreviousPage 3 of 3
Omnie wrote:
Yah that's what I mean. You can get to the final room without the cube.

As for getting up there without a cube... I'm not sure if it would be possible but it might be. I haven't looked at the terrain around the area to attempt it.

Terrain is out doors,lol.

Currently working on Darksiders 3.

In Valve's reasoning I should have made a map first to explain the works of the Blue button (yep it stays down once the crate was on it)
Well the blue button collor was really not nessesary anymore, but I left it that waay since I already asked my texture guy to make it :)

Seems like there are alot of people with low FPS, I asume its caused my the balls, perhaps in the way they are removed from the game.

I tried to get down the tube with the balls stil activated so I'm a bit suprised to see players were actually able to do that.
But its still impossible to finnish the level without the companion cube as its required to make the ' companion balls' come.
ok never say never in a game like portal there are alot of possebility's I would have to sit behind some playtesters to see what they do.

About the fizzler puzzle, Its also possible to position the portals so the orb goes over the balls. I perhaps should have made that a bit more easyer to do tough. But in general I never needed more then 2 tries to complete that part. Ofcourse you can really have some bad luck too :-)

Lets see if I can do some more interesting maps for portal since people seem to like it :)

I like it - the map made me think in a few places (whereas others are sometimes "okay, how do I need to fling here?").

I really like the new ball element. Very nice, very creative. Nice model work too.

I was amazed when the "comboing" (nice one Hurricaaane) actually made it through on the first try. I can see where missing that might be a bit annoying, but I really don't see what the fuss is about.

I'm not sure what the two platforms were for in the last room; I didn't end up using them.

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

I think that the lag issue shows up when the tube with the door starts stacking up spheres. Once you get to 35+, the friction system starts taking up all the processing time. I don't know if the spheres can "expire" after 30 seconds to avoid that? (I haven't mapped since Q2, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.) :)

Nice work!

When the balls keep stacking up you broke the system in a way that I didn't cover/tought of and if they keep up stacking untill there is no more room fps drop to bottom.

About the 2 platforms next to eacthother, yeah they are not required but I was afraid it would be too difficult for some players and had a bit of trouble finding some playtesters, I'll release a beta first next time now I know where to look :)

This map was pretty interesting as far as creativity goes. I'm sure this has been beaten to death already, but what is up with the framerate drop? The start of the level is just fine but later on, it just goes nuts. I found it was at its worst when I had a portal in the last room where the balls pile up and a portal in the red button room. I've never seen the source engine lag that much. What gives?

Other than that...it was fun, well put together, visually pleasing...and a good puzzle.

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

I can't finish this map, it lags to 1 fps when the balls get backed up, even when I remove the cube they're still stuck and it's unplayable. You really need to do some more testing on this, the new models are nice but this is a classic example of graphics over gameplay.

PreviousPage 3 of 3