Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[Release] bs01

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

I think he used a blue button because you can take the cube off the button and the door stays open.

Korjagun wrote:
I don't know what you're talking about here, honestly. As far as I could tell, there was no element of luck involved getting the catcher puzzle to work;
Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

But the ball has to travel through the place where the huge balls fly by, right? And the energy orb isn't high enough to clear the huge balls that are going by, so if their paths intersect you have to try again. And to try again, you have to walk all the way back up to the button. right?

its 50/50 if its going to go and really i only had it get knocked off course once, all i can say to you is dont play in the lottery!

I must've lucked out the first time and never realized that could happen.

Link, mah boi, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!

The puzzle difficulty was fairly low, but it was still fun. (before I go rant on some pet peeve of mine, I do want to make that very clear; it was enjoyable!) I had no troubles with the puzzles but I did play it 2-3 times and ran into a few quirks (yes, I did get caught by the randomness of the energy-ball puzzle, but it didnt give me TOO much trouble. It wouldnt hurt to raise the ball catcher a little and reduce the chance more, or maybe reduce the ball rate until the energy-ball part is done?) The new ball model was cool (even if excessive use could kill your framerate); I wish there were more portal-specific models being made, or were available. . .

Nice atmosphere; sometimes its good to step outside the traditional portal room setup (which admittedly gets a little sterile after a while). Changing the atmosphere is fine. . . but changing the look/feel/behavior of the standard puzzle components almost always leads to trouble, IMO. It certainly leads to controversy. :)

I realize there might have been a reason for the blue button; some kind of hint as to how it behaves or what you need to get it to work (ie cube only and not person, etc). . . but whatever the secret language is, the fact is it doesnt affect how I am going to approach/use the button, because this secret code isnt well-known and certainly not universally followed. Besides, I dont NEED to be able to determine the button behavior by sight from across the room, and I'd much prefer the existing standard be followed, rather than have 3-4 button colors come about to "let me know" that a button only needs to be pushed once, can be used by people as well as cubes, requires a companion cube only, etc. You wanta give a hint? MAKE NEW SIGNAGE. Its clearer for everyone involved, and doesnt go into the whole "color-blindness" issue some players have either. Same is true for fizzlers that can destroy companion cubes, like yours could. Nuff said. . .

First off, kudos on a really cool level. I especially like the conclusion Glados comes to when you destroy the companion cube. I ran into some troubles like most people seem to report. The low FPS issue I think has to do with too many balls being backed up... that's what she said? Also the two lifts (not the ones by that crazy blue button) when they lowered the glass was the only thing to lower, the supports and frames were still there. You could still jump across them. I'm thinking that was not intentional? I took a screenshot if you want to see.

Great map, however it's possible to get to the end without using the companion cube at all :D

When you have to orb ball into that room, when I was trying to fling around to avoid it the trigger activated and the wall moved out so I was able to skip the frogger-like puzzle altogether. Plus with a bit of timing it's easy to get down the little tube.

I haven't figure out how to beat the rest of it without the cube (does the blue button imply the door stays open?) but it looks great.

Quote:
Great map, however it's possible to get to the end without using the companion cube at all

Hmmm, to be precise based on your message, its possible to get to the final room before the exit elevator without the cube. Going farther than that. . . maybe not so easy. :)

Omnie wrote:
I haven't figure out how to beat the rest of it without the cube (does the blue button imply the door stays open?) but it looks great.

Who knows why its blue, really? It could just as easily imply that only the cube operates it. But I can tell you that if

Spoiler

volt wrote:
The map looks amazing. The models look great. That said...

For regular map:
-Glados gets annoying quick
-Ball catcher puzzle relies too much on luck
-The walk that you have to take every time you miss the ball catcher puzzle is annoying
-The second step in the puzzle is easy to miss, as the ledge leading into the room blends in a little too much
-Getting into the second room requires 2 portals, so if you leave the companion cube without placing a portal in this room, and then go to the bottom room you have to do it all over again
-No save points

For advanced map: Nothing was too much harder, just more inconvenient.
-The ball catcher now relies more on luck because you have to

Spoiler

Sorry to be a whine, but again the map and models look great.

i like glados, but i just wish it were new quotes.
if you set up your portal right, and use f6, there's no long walk.

Spoiler

what happened on mine is when i got into the penultimate room, the system got really laggy. actually maybe only on the advanced chamber...

i hit f6 a lot.

one thing that wasn't satisfying is the

Spoiler

--

The cake is a PI

--

Add me on STEAM: iamafractal
I'm up for coop games & beta testing your maps...

--
xitooner wrote:
Hmmm, to be precise based on your message, its possible to get to the final room before the exit elevator without the cube. Going farther than that. . . maybe not so easy. :)
Who knows why its blue, really? It could just as easily imply that only the cube operates it. But I can tell you that if

Yah that's what I mean. You can get to the final room without the cube.

As for getting up there without a cube... I'm not sure if it would be possible but it might be. I haven't looked at the terrain around the area to attempt it.

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next