Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[Release] Aperture Discord/Test Chamber 23

Page 1 of 3Next

Test Chamber 23 is complete and should be fully functional. It features three areas, each with two or three tasks to be solved before the player may advance. The puzzles featured are mainly fling type puzzles, requiring cunning use of portals and a certain degree of precision. And, always remember: If you have trouble reaching that high ledge, crouching is your friend.

[img]http://www.monkeyblah.com/img/screens/chamber23_1tn.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.monkeyblah.com/img/screens/chamber23_2tn.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.monkeyblah.com/img/screens/chamber23_3tn.jpg[/img]

The download is available in two flavors:

They both contain the same files.

Once installed, the map can be run through the Bonus Map interface, and is equipped with all three challenge variants.

For more information and other games and stuff I've made, visit its page on monkeyblah.com. I'd also appreciate that if you want to link this to someone, use that address.

Link, mah boi, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!

Looks nice, but plagued by glitches - any loading, auto save, normal save, or quick save, causes an obtrusive "AI disabled..." error to appear on the screen. The only fix is to start the level over. So it appears you have to do it on your first try.

Looks great though, from what I saw it looks very well thought out - fix the loading glitch, and this will be a great map.

I liked your map! I hope you do more soon.

--

The cake is a PI

--

Add me on STEAM: iamafractal
I'm up for coop games & beta testing your maps...

--
Cyclone wrote:
Looks nice, but plagued by glitches - any loading, auto save, normal save, or quick save, causes an obtrusive "AI disabled..." error to appear on the screen. The only fix is to start the level over. So it appears you have to do it on your first try.

"Glitches" would imply multiple glitches. The AI_disabled is but one.

I helped Korjagun test the map out in various stages of development. Neither of us have any idea what causes the AI_disabled bug. It doesn't happen on all maps, just some. So until somebody out there figures out why it happens, it's likely not going anywhere.

Luckily, it doesn't have any significant affect on the map itself, since the map doesn't contain any turrets. The only thing it really does is disable the GLaDOS voice for when you destroy cameras.

As I said in IRC (I think I did?), try putting an info_node in the same area as the Aperture_AI entity. If that doesn't work, I'd say post on the Valve forums because that has me pretty stumped too.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

No nodes are needed what-so-ever in any Portal map, due to AI not needing logic_ai. Oh and i shall play your map and Review it, with lulz!

Also your install program is nice! But does not detect the proper directory...

Currently working on Darksiders 3.

Alrighty played your map, wasn't too bad, was a bit difficult at times, but very interesting. I think the final fling might of been the hardest though, due to the way to use that fling, which not many people know of yet, its good and basic, but needs more of a learning curve torwards it.

Currently working on Darksiders 3.

I couldn't get the last fling. I hardly had time to figure it out so I'll give it another go later. I'm guessing its a precise trajectory fling.

I found a really easy way to get the energy ball into the catcher:

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
I've gotten that to work twice, got it on the first try the second time around.

I also found the AI disabled glitch, good to hear that it doesn't effect the challenges in this map.

The fling that comes just after the ball challenge was very difficult for me to pull off.

Spoiler

Yeah, that last fling is a killer - I haven't managed to find a solution yet, but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

I really liked this map, it had great variety, cleverly arranged puzzles, and very good use of flinging. The difficulty seemed consistent as well, starting fairly simple and becoming more complex and demanding as you progressed. I look foreword to Chamber 24, or whatever comes next in any case.

Oh, and one more compulsory nag about the AI Disabled glitch. I know it isn't your fault, but seriously, it's annoying.

1) I cannot reproduce the A.I. Disabled bug, so I cannot fix it. Really, it does not happen for me. A bug that I cannot reproduce I cannot fix, and no one seems to know why it happens. I sure don't. And between never releasing this thing and having people contend with a glitch caused by Valve and that doesn't destroy anything, the choice is clear.

Spoiler

Quote:
Also your install program is nice! But does not detect the proper directory...

The primary reason for why it would fail to do that is if your registry is not valid and doesn't have the Steam directory listed under HKLM/Software/Valve/Steam, or, alternately, if you have some screwy directories under steamapps/ other than your username, SourceMods and common.

Link, mah boi, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!
Page 1 of 3Next