Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Regarding spam bots

PreviousPage 3 of 8Next

I changed it to ReCaptcha but I might need to update the version we have installed.

To whoever said that the signups were done by an automated system and not actual people: You would be surprised. It is much more common for cheap laborers to submit the forms than to use a bot to overcome the captcha. It's the same as people in China being paid 12 cents a day to farm gold in WOW, except this annoys me more directly.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

How about deleting threads automatically who have japanese/rusian/etc. letters in the title/text?

Here's an idea:
Allow the report button to not be used to send messages, but to keep a count of how many reports are issued. members with low activity (0-5 posts) would not have any say in the reporting. Members who have higher but still low activity would have little say, and so forth. Once the report limit is reached (it would be reached by hitting a number of points). The tread will be removed and then sent to a moderator/admin. If it doesn't violate anything, they could put it back, but if it does, it would be permanently deleted.

When life gives you lemons, make apple juice and have everyone wonder how you did it.
Musical website Moddb

since we've re-opened the signups and changed the captcha we've seen quite a lot less spam. Yes, there is still quite a lot but we can generally get rid of it in a few hours. as long as y'all don't click the spam links I think that we're in a pretty good state at the moment.

Just so you guys know

I understand what you guys are saying but not everyone that comes to this site is even a teen yet so they might think they a writing something that is not spam.

heck i did not even really know what spam was when I signed up here(which resulted in a few locked forums) but I did learn what is appropriate for posting thanks to reading other posts and from Lpfreaky90.( I was also about 13 when i signed up now i am 15)

I guess what I am saying is maybe at least tell the person that what they posted is spam and should be edited or deleted by them so that they learn not to do it again.

note. I do understand that there is a fine point to whats alright and whats not

Even when I was 8 I knew the difference between a scam and something genuine. My parents taught me well when it came to internet safety - however I did grow up with the internet being dial-up and with a lot less internet sites than there are now.

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop

what about some portal/mapping related question at signup? people who come here probably know at least some things about the game and a very simple mapping question could be looked up by an absolute beginner, but it may discourage someone, who is only interested in spamming.

- Science isn't about why, it's about why not!
lord_blex wrote:
what about some portal/mapping related question at signup?

This has been suggested before? However not everyone that signs up is really after portal specific advice. That said: if they really wanted to sign up they can use google.

I say this is a good idea because I had to clean up 5-6 spam threads today.

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop
ChickenMobile wrote:
lord_blex wrote:
what about some portal/mapping related question at signup?

This has been suggested before? However not everyone that signs up is really after portal specific advice. That said: if they really wanted to sign up they can use google.

I say this is a good idea because I had to clean up 5-6 spam threads today.

All in favour say Aye.

Current Community Contributor status: not a community contributor. Lost it. :(

Hadn't there been something like this in the past? It was a long time ago, but I remember one Portal site signup asked for the name of GLaDOS's voice actor.

Falsi sumus crusto!
PreviousPage 3 of 8Next