Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Puzzle Creator Tech Info, Hacks, and Laughs

PreviousPage 6 of 11Next
carlymx wrote:
Mr. Happy wrote:
The Build Process
As I mentioned above, the PeTI editor works with .p2c files (see below for file format documentations). When you click build this is what happens:
1. .p2c file is converted to a .vmf placed in steamapps/common/portal2/sdk_content/maps/ . This file is called preview.vmf
2. the preview.vmf file is compiled using vbsp, vvis, and vrad as normal with these settings:

vbsp.exe: -entity_limit 1750
vvis.exe:
vrad.exe: -final -staticproppolys -staticproplighting -textureshadows -hdr
(thanks Robdon)

Hello, good morning.

I am looking for ways to eliminate the limitation of the compiler of the "TPI" for 1750 items and it still fails.

Anyone know how to raise that amount or cancel?

* my maps need twice as minimum xDDDDDDD

Thank you.

Hammer.

I've been experimenting with adding custom items to the editor, and I thought it would be worthwhile to share some of it, as an example.

Included are:
- auto-save trigger;
- portal magnet (an info_placement_helper with "force orientation" turned on, so you can flip portals sideways or upside-down);
- an alternative light source that emits a warmer light than the default panels and office windows;
- logic gates.

None of these use any custom models or textures, so you can still publish maps straight to the workshop from within the editor. (The included models and textures are just for the editor icons, they are not needed to play maps.)

Please read the included readme.txt!

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic
HMW wrote:
Stuff

I tested it out, it seems to override current items in the palette.
and when I tested it out in the maker, it says there was an error building the puzzle.
but these are still great instances, I can use.

lpfreaky90 wrote:
carlymx wrote:
Mr. Happy wrote:
vbsp.exe: -entity_limit 1750

Hello, good morning.

I am looking for ways to eliminate the limitation of the compiler of the "TPI" for 1750 items and it still fails.

Anyone know how to raise that amount or cancel?

* my maps need twice as minimum xDDDDDDD

Thank you.

Hammer.

Thanks but we already know. xDDD
I mean in the game, a configuration file or something ...

My Hard Core TPI Maps

http://www.tarados.org Mapping and Hobby's.

Portal 2 Psicodelia Test One - A map designed to make you think.

Albert Einstein dijo una vez: En el mundo hay dos cosas infinitas... EL universo y la Estupidez Humana... y del primero no estoy seguro.
spongylover123 wrote:
I tested it out, it seems to override current items in the palette.
and when I tested it out in the maker, it says there was an error building the puzzle.
but these are still great instances, I can use.

Yes it does replace things in the palette. It's the only way because it's not possible to increase the size of the palette.

I'm curious what caused your compile to fail. Do you know if it's one particular element? They all work ok for me so far.

Edit, @carlymx: I just searched the entire Portal 2 folder for "-entity_limit 1750" and came up with nothing useful. I'm afraid that this is hard-coded.

Edit 03/06/2012: updated!

i don't know either, I added everything that you included.
and the compile fails.

-entitylimit is a special parameter for the compiler for the puzzle maker to not add too many things.
there was a bug if you added to many things to the maker and compile...... (can't say the bug name)
then a crash engine error.

HMW wrote:
I've been experimenting with adding custom items to the editor, and I thought it would be worthwhile to share some of it, as an example.

Included are:
- auto-save trigger;
- portal magnet (an info_placement_helper with "force orientation" turned on, so you can flip portals sideways or upside-down);
- an alternative light source that emits a warmer light than the default panels and office windows;
- logic gates.

I haven't had any problems with compiling using these new elements, but I had some problems with the way they work.

If the new light is placed on a portable surface, you can portal through (behind? over?) about half the light. I don't know if you have any control over this behavior, though.

The autosave only seems to work the first time a player moves onto the autosave square. Subsequesnt visits to that square don't override the first save.

Other than that everything else worked great for me. Thank you for taking the time to make these.

HMW wrote:

Included are:
- auto-save trigger;
- logic gates.

Hi HMW,

download and used. Works perfectly well. Created a map with all original stuff, swapped the editoritems.txt to your version and finalized the map beautifully (posted as 'Sunbury Chambers 001').

I do believe, this concept of swapping the editoritems.txt is great for the Puzzle Maker and could be enhanced with further addon versions.

Thanks for that. Awesome hack, mate.

HMW wrote:
spongylover123 wrote:
Edit, @carlymx: I just searched the entire Portal 2 folder for "-entity_limit 1750" and came up with nothing useful. I'm afraid that this is hard-coded.

I think its hard coded into client.dll.

If you 'strings' client.dll, then search for 'entity_limit' the entry before it is 1750. So I recon its in there.

Looks like vbsp.exe also has a limit to what it can be set to. Seems to be between 32 and 2048 and generates an error if its above 2048:

VBSP: invalid value for '-entity_limit' (9999), use a value between 32 and 2048

You can also see a few bits about the limits here:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Entity_limit

My Portal2 Map: Trapped

My Travel Blog:
RogerL wrote:
I haven't had any problems with compiling using these new elements, but I had some problems with the way they work.

If the new light is placed on a portable surface, you can portal through (behind? over?) about half the light. I don't know if you have any control over this behavior, though.

That is hard to prevent, unfortunately. I put a func_noportal_volume over the light to minimise the chance of this happening, but it can still happen.

RogerL wrote:
The autosave only seems to work the first time a player moves onto the autosave square. Subsequesnt visits to that square don't override the first save.

That's correct. Most autosaves in the main game work like that, so I decided to stick with this behaviour. (Remember you can always edit the instance if you want one that works multiple times. Just replace the autosave trigger with a trigger_multiple + logic_autosave.)

RogerL wrote:
Other than that everything else worked great for me. Thank you for taking the time to make these.

Thanks!

@spongylover123: Hmm... For a moment I was worried that I forgot to pack something, but for other people it works, apparently. I honestly have no idea why it won't work for you.

@BierPizzaChips: Cool! Is your map published yet? I can't find it on the workshop.

PreviousPage 6 of 11Next