Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Puzzle Creator Tech Info, Hacks, and Laughs

PreviousPage 5 of 11Next

@kariko: interesting, thanks for sharing, now let's see if I can get some stuff done in there ;)

kariko wrote:
We have enough slots for four new instances (replacing companion cube, sphere, franken, and relfective).

You could also put one in the laserfield slot, seeing as you can right-click on a fizzler and change type.

---------------------------
My maps: Double Bill / Jam / Oval Window / Gymnasium / Gymnasium Part 2 / Minimalism (collection) / Resolution
All feedback welcome!

If I were to use a custom element (not one used in the game), and place it into the palette, would the Puzzle Creator pack all the necessary files? I remembering Lp mentioning that to use her death fizzlers in a custom map, the textures would need to be packed in also. So the question is if the Puzzle Creator can pack extra files if needed.

Ethaksus wrote:
If I were to use a custom element (not one used in the game), and place it into the palette, would the Puzzle Creator pack all the necessary files? I remembering Lp mentioning that to use her death fizzlers in a custom map, the textures would need to be packed in also. So the question is if the Puzzle Creator can pack extra files if needed.

Pretty sure no.

Nice going here! I already have a few ideas in the works for some handy additions to the editor.

During the last few weeks, I have slowly dissected and documented a fair amount of this file. I haven't talked much about it yet, but now is probably as good a time as any to throw it out there and see what you guys can do with it.

I didn't know of that Steam forum thread and I haven't fully read it yet, so there may be a fair amount of repeating. Also the writing is a bit sloppy as this text has mainly served as notes for myself, but I reckon it's readable enough.

Incoming!

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

@Ethaksus: No, it will not pack custom files. You will still need to do that manually.

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic

Anybody else run into the phantom-killer bug?

For some reason, in this one room, there seems to be a set location (usually a horizontal line about 3 blocks down from the roof) that insta-kills you as you fly through it. It moves around with each compile, and I can't tie it to any one change yet.

madcat1030 - Do you have two bodies of water on separate floors, one directly above the other at any point? There's a bug with that which causes them to be linked by an invisible death field. Valve are reportedly working on a fix, but in the meantime the only solution is to move the water pools so they don't overlap or else replace one with laser fields.

My maps: Double Bill / Jam / Oval Window / Gymnasium / Gymnasium Part 2 / Minimalism (collection) / Resolution
All feedback welcome!

Ah, that explains why it was moving with some other rooms. Alright, thanks for the info. Extra weird, because I have overlapping pools in two places, and only one of them was making the death field.

Valve just rolled out an update that fixes that bug, among others.
Also, if you export to vmf with puzzlemaker_export, it will now start correctly (i.e. in the elevator) and not loop around when you reach the exit.

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic
Mr. Happy wrote:
The Build Process
As I mentioned above, the PeTI editor works with .p2c files (see below for file format documentations). When you click build this is what happens:
1. .p2c file is converted to a .vmf placed in steamapps/common/portal2/sdk_content/maps/ . This file is called preview.vmf
2. the preview.vmf file is compiled using vbsp, vvis, and vrad as normal with these settings:

vbsp.exe: -entity_limit 1750
vvis.exe:
vrad.exe: -final -staticproppolys -staticproplighting -textureshadows -hdr
(thanks Robdon)

Hello, good morning.

I am looking for ways to eliminate the limitation of the compiler of the "TPI" for 1750 items and it still fails.

Anyone know how to raise that amount or cancel?

* my maps need twice as minimum xDDDDDDD

Thank you.

My Hard Core TPI Maps

http://www.tarados.org Mapping and Hobby's.

Portal 2 Psicodelia Test One - A map designed to make you think.

Albert Einstein dijo una vez: En el mundo hay dos cosas infinitas... EL universo y la Estupidez Humana... y del primero no estoy seguro.
PreviousPage 5 of 11Next