Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Puzzle Creator Tech Info, Hacks, and Laughs

PreviousPage 7 of 11Next

@HMW: Published.
All maps of this steam account had been created via Puzzle Maker with HMW's cool hack:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198037304681/myworkshopfiles/?appid=620
Alternatively you may query in the workshop for 'sunbury'.

Each maps includes a video walkthrough, here the video of the first map:
http://youtu.be/nd8RW74xt7w

------------------------------

Say, guys, any chance to have an Angeled Panel being active 90 degrees to block a tunnel and being turn flat by activating a trigger? I am looking for something to open and close tunnels / walk throughs. But again, i am a Newbie and may miss the point. On the other had, if such a thing could be configured by a replaced editoritems.txt that would be soooo cool.

A pedestal button could easily do that. If you look at my PTI map "Continue Testing", it uses those. I can't find the link right now, but it's basically connecting a pedestal button to the panel, and then having another panel close in the same area. It's hard to explain through text...

Also, using HMW's awesome Editor Objects, you can simplify it by making an OR gate for the angled panel. That way, the player can either use Button 1 to open the wall, or Button 2.

Favorite theme: Retro Aperture

Now let's solve this thing! ^^

You can make the panels operating in reverse with an option on the right-click menu. (IIRC it's called "start deployed" or something like that.)

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic
BierPizzaChips wrote:
Also, using HMW's awesome Editor Objects, you can simplify it by making an OR gate for the angled panel. That way, the player can either use Button 1 to open the wall, or Button 2.

That works beautifully fine. Btw: HMW posted in his README, that spheres are an XOR. But if you link two sphere-buttons to the switch and one of those sphere-buttons additional to a door, the switch becomes an XAND, which is very nice ;-)

I am dreaming now of more athmosphere objects such as rotten/broken wall elements and trash. The Puzzle Maker maps look all very clean ... .
Any chance to modify e.g. the texture settings for the walls to make maps look different?
Finally: Is my impression correct, that storing a 'Collection' on Steam is only possible with Hammer? Would be cool, if e.g. 20 Puzzle Maker maps could be combine to one 'campaign'. Just dreaming ...

If you have ideas, i am happy to mess with my file ;-)

Robdon wrote:
I think its hard coded into client.dll.

If you 'strings' client.dll, then search for 'entity_limit' the entry before it is 1750. So I recon its in there.

Looks like vbsp.exe also has a limit to what it can be set to. Seems to be between 32 and 2048 and generates an error if its above 2048:

VBSP: invalid value for '-entity_limit' (9999), use a value between 32 and 2048

You can also see a few bits about the limits here:

Hello

Q So you think it would be possible to change the value "1750" by one higher?
How?

A Greeting.

My Hard Core TPI Maps

http://www.tarados.org Mapping and Hobby's.

Portal 2 Psicodelia Test One - A map designed to make you think.

Albert Einstein dijo una vez: En el mundo hay dos cosas infinitas... EL universo y la Estupidez Humana... y del primero no estoy seguro.

Hey, hen, do you think it would be possible to make an SPST type toggle logic gate? I mean, when you send an input, even for a second, it would make a permanent change. I'd like to be able to wire two cube buttons to one of those gates, so that once you've managed to press them both simultaneously, a door will open forever, and I don't want to use a hidden-laser room. I'm going to for now, but it'd be a nice thing to have.

carlymx wrote:
Hello

Q So you think it would be possible to change the value "1750" by one higher?
How?

A Greeting.

Hi,

No, I dont think you can change it in the puzzle maker, as its hard coded I think.

You can change it in hammer though, if you compile through there as you can specify the parameters to the compile progs in hammer.

My Portal2 Map: Trapped

My Travel Blog:

If you know that the 1750 you found is in fact the value for the limit, then I recon you could just change it right there with a hex-editor.

@madcat1030: In theory, this would be possible by connecting some logic gates in a loop, but there are some strange bugs when you connect multiple ones together. I don't know what to do about that yet.

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic

Yeah, I just realized that you could achieve something similar using an and gate connected to an XOR gate.

Now I'm going through my maps touching them up with portal magnets and save points thanks to your items.

HMW wrote:
If you know that the 1750 you found is in fact the value for the limit, then I recon you could just change it right there with a hex-editor.

Nah, you cant hex anything in any of the portal exe/dll files, they must have some kinda checksum verification going on to make sure people dont 'mess' with things, because if you change anything portal just crashes after the startup vid. :(

My Portal2 Map: Trapped

My Travel Blog:
PreviousPage 7 of 11Next