Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Puzzle Creator Tech Info, Hacks, and Laughs

PreviousPage 4 of 11Next

You should go to advanced mode and pick Final mode for the best lighting effects.

I know how to compile a map, i want to know how i could go about re-inserting my edited preview.vmf back into portal so i can publish the map.

Aus_Karlos wrote:
I know how to compile a map, i want to know how i could go about re-inserting my edited preview.vmf back into portal so i can publish the map.

It is not possible to put it back in the new editor. Go to portal 2/bin and run p2map_publish.

My Hammer Maps
[Released] Power Interference
[Released] Rust and Dust (Spotlight Map!)
[Released] Multiportal

Actually you can't move a hammer map back to the easy map maker.
If you export it you need to use portal 2/bin/p2map_publish.exe :)

Mr. Happy wrote:
..../puzzles/ : contains a single devtest.p2c file. I haven't figured out how to open this yet.

It's a test map used by Valve to test the PeTI. It has pretty much all the objects: droppers, paint, a turret, deadly goo, ...

Just place the p2c file in steamapps/common/portal2/puzzles/*SteamID*/ and you should be able to open it from the PeTI editor. It appears in the list as a testing chamber without a name.

I just saw this in another thread:

Bluntman wrote:
1.Open your map in the puzzle maker.
2.Open the console and type the following:
puzzlemaker_export name (obviously you can enter any other name)
3.The resulting .vmf file will be saved in:
steam/steamapps/common/portal 2/sdk_contentmaps
Then just open the .vmf file in the Authoring Tools and feel free to edit it.
Hope this helped.

Very useful to export a vmf without having to do a complete compile!
Anyone else been hunting for new console commands yet?

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic
HMW wrote:
I just saw this in another thread:

Bluntman wrote:
1.Open your map in the puzzle maker.
2.Open the console and type the following:
puzzlemaker_export name (obviously you can enter any other name)
3.The resulting .vmf file will be saved in:
steam/steamapps/common/portal 2/sdk_contentmaps
Then just open the .vmf file in the Authoring Tools and feel free to edit it.
Hope this helped.

Very useful to export a vmf without having to do a complete compile!
Anyone else been hunting for new console commands yet?

Another way to do it is to publish your Puzzle Maker map (you'll probably want to do it as hidden). After that you'll have a file in your portal 2sdk_contentmaps folder called something like 1336560975.vmf. Open up a copy of it in Hammer and you're good to go. These two different methods of exporting the map don't give the same output... I'm not sure which is better...

The main difference is that the elevator and entrance airlock instances have a variable "$no_player_start" set to 1 (when published) or 0 (when exported with F9 or puzzlemaker_export).
This controls the playtest vs. release behaviour. When it's set to 0, you start at the door instead of in the elevator, and the map will loop back to the beginning when you complete it.

The other changes you see is just because it selects different templates for the entry and exit airlocks each time you export the map.

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic

With all of this information plus this link:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=2706176

We can add new instances to the Editor! If you follow that tutorial, you can basically make it so that cameras are in the PTI Editor, replacing frankencubes. We have enough slots for four new instances (replacing companion cube, sphere, franken, and relfective). Can you modders/mappers toy with this? Also, a quick note: If you screw up the editoritems.txt, just verify cache and it'll fix itself.

Favorite theme: Retro Aperture

Now let's solve this thing! ^^

Nice tutorial! I'll have to start playing with that...

Falsi sumus crusto!
PreviousPage 4 of 11Next