Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Problems with Portal's Graphics

PreviousPage 3 of 3
PortalFan77 wrote:
Here is an even better Idea, go buy a Premade HP computer, then modify the crap out of it, that is what I did and i can play Crysis on High.

Exactly what I did, just upgraded the memory and video card and it runs like a champ. After many years building my own machines I just got lazy. Plus, when I priced all my parts plus a new Operating System it was the about the same price. I like HP desktops because they use Asus motherboards, which in my experience are very reliable. I see 5 to 10 year old HPs at work everyday and very few have hardware issues, usually software problems or just a bad hard drive.

For a graphics card I'd recommend at least 7000 series Nvidia but you'd be spending your money more wisely on an 8000 series with Direct X 10 support. This will let you play more games at higher settings for a longer period of time. You can find direct X 10 cards that are AGP but I don't see the point in them.

A little of topic but anyone else see the new GeForce 9800 GX2? Way too expensive for me but it's nice to drool over. 1GB of GDDR3, 600MHz, dual 400MHz RAMDACs, Shader Model 4.0 support. Yummy goodness.

PreviousPage 3 of 3