Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Problems with Portal's Graphics

Page 1 of 3Next

hi, I've been in this forum for a while checking out maps and other things regarding Portal. So I decided to make an account. I want to ask why does My Portal Game has limited Graphics level? There's no reflection on the gun, turrets, and cubes. There's no motion blur. My Portal's Animation sucks, its all plain Oval. simple sided portal. My graphics card is Nvidia Geforce Fx 5500. If I have to change my video card, is there any other way to enable those features? Hope for your feedback guys I'll be waiting for it. Thanks in advance ^_^

Every move requires confirmation before executed to prevent stupidity and humiliation.

Just a quick browse of the spec sheet for the Fx 5500, it looks rather limited. Is it the 128MB model? If so, that's your basic problem. Graphics card have a sort of weird bell-shaped price versus quality graph. Looks like the Fx 5500 retails for about $50, whereas a $100 dollar card would probably be almost literally twice as good.

I think it's a sort of testament to the Source engine that it will run on so much hardware. However, if you want super-cool effects, I think you're going to have to shell out some green.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

Yes its 128mb model, well it seems like I really Need to buy a new video card T_T, Any tips? is Geforce 256mb model enough for the game?

Every move requires confirmation before executed to prevent stupidity and humiliation.

That's what I'm rocking: a 7600 GT with 256. Also, a 3 GHz Pentium 4. Those run the Source games as smooth as I could wish. I have to tweak down Company of Heroes, but that's because it's an incredibly detailed game.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

Stop recommending DX9 hard ware......

DX10 Geforce 8600GT or higher specs, you see Higher pixel Pipelines and with DX10 they will out do any DX9 or below card.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x7aPvedU7cI

Get the EVGA Version of any of them

If you are running off of AGP go buy a new Mobo for $100-$150 and if you wanna save some money get a NON SLI Mobo.

Well Thanks for the recommendations. I'll try to figure out how could I buy A new Computer.
Because My PC suck T_T

Quote:
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.5ghz
Memory Ram: DDR2 1Gig
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce FX 5500
Directx Version: Software 9 / Hardware 8

The cheapest way to do it is to build the computer yourself, but it seems like you probably don't have experience in that area, and it's really not something you should try for the first time by yourself.

If that isn't an option you should use an online computer building site that doesn't rip you off too much. My favorite would be: http://www.ibuypower.com If price is no object there are much better sites out there, but if you want value this is the place to go.

It's a lot safer to pick your parts here if you don't know what you're doing because you'll always end up with a functioning computer, however, if you can tell me how much you want to spend I'll gladly design one for you.

A few quick questions, will you be needing a monitor or a wireless network adapter? Also, will you need software like Vista and Microsoft Office?

EDIT: I threw one together real quick, I added a wireless adapter but no monitor or software. It ends up being $671 (before shipping) and it will play all games out right now. It'll run Crysis on medium settings. I also picked the Black Edition for the processor because those are EXTREMELY easy to overclock (like you just open your bios and change 2 numbers) so you end up getting the most bang for your buck. Anyways, here it is:
http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/Store/Conf ... &c=1328234

Here is an even better Idea, go buy a Premade HP computer, then modify the crap out of it, that is what I did and i can play Crysis on High.

Notice how SuperGuy gives costs and specifications for the computer. Just saying "Build a better computer to play better games" is not, on the whole, helpful.

do NOT click this
Page 1 of 3Next