Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Post your Portal 2 Authoring Tool Bugs

PreviousPage 14 of 15Next
protoborg wrote:
raulness wrote:
Every time I launch Portal 2 to run my map and quit to go back into Hammer, I can't do anything within Hammer. It's not even completely frozen, I can still open up menus but all of the 2D/3D views are blank and I can't make any brushes or entities. Only way to get around it is to restart Hammer. Also, this is a noob question but is there a quicker way to test maps rather than having to launch and re-launch the game every time I want to test? I was thinking that maybe leaving the game running in the background and then using the dev console to run the updated map should work but I haven't really tried because I think I have a weird paranoia that the game will crash.

Hope there's a solution to the first part of my post. It's pretty annoying.

I don't know if you have solved this yet but I find that if you just hit F9 and let HAMMER launch the game, it usually does fine. As for the blank views, that is simply HAMMER being HAMMER. If you give it a few moments to reload the graphics you will have you map back.

As for the reloading through the console, just type in reload and it won't crash. I have r bound as reload, so I know it wouldn't crash. I highly recommend binding noclip and reload to easily test parts of your map.

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Camben24
Aperture Science: We do our science asbestos we can!
Quote:
So there's probably a leak. Look for waves of yellow and red text before it fails. Then Map > Load Pointfile... and find the red line. Block it.

Well, there were too many leaks to block so I just mad a hollow brush around the map. Now the start lift or elevator, can't push the player up. The player blocks the func_train and stops it, so you won't go through it.

That, I'd say, is a very bad idea. If you have countless leaks, my suggestion is to stay on an 8-128 size grid for making walls, and make sure they join.

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Camben24
Aperture Science: We do our science asbestos we can!

I know it's not the best thing, but I did use 128x128.
Should I just copy everything to a new file and make the outside walls again?

Yes, probably.

Falsi sumus crusto!

Well I did what you told me to but the map still leaks.

If everthing in your map is surrounded with a giant box, but the map still leaks, there are two possibilities:

1. Radius culling is on. (The red circle with the "c" in it, upper right corner)
Turn it off by clicking on the icon or pressing c

2. An entity is outside the map. Go to map -> load Pointfile and follow the red line to find said entity.

The Aperture Alpha
A map pack coming soon. - click for more information

It's not surrounded by a box. I deleted it and remade the walls that separate the map from the black void. Now it leaks again. Should I make the box again?

Doesn't matter. I got it working.

yohoat9 wrote:
Well, not exactly a bug, but func_dustmotes don't work, anyone know the texture name?

Sparkles.vmt
Sparkles.vtf

look for these two files in the "common / Counter-Strike Source / cstrike / cstrike_pak_dir.vpk".
Extract to the folder "common / Portal2 / Portal2 / materials / particle

Note: you need to have the game Conuter Strike Source to get these files.

PreviousPage 14 of 15Next