Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Post your Portal 2 Authoring Tool Bugs

Page 1 of 15Next

Lets make a list of the known bugs of this beta sdk, and if someone have a solution/workaround, then post it too and I'll add it.

My list:
- The lighting is totally different (darker), maybe skyboxes, env_environment or the props enableshadows works differently? Any idea why?
- Displacements not working at all, I mean the painting. All my displacement texture lost their painting (2nd texture disappeared) and none of the suitable textures (filter: blend) work in my hammer
- not bug, but the func_instance colors are annoying, is there a way to change the alpha or remove the effect?

atm even if I do the editing with the new tool, I compile with swarm SDK.

and one question: is there an entity like the func_noportal, just for the gels? I have surfaces that I dont want to be geled (like a func_nogel or something)

-= Check out my maps: workshop, and their .vmf sources: homepage =-

I'm gonna sticky this since it's important, but just to reiterate for everyone:

msleeper wrote:
If you guys are noticing what you might think are bugs, then I would really suggest you join the official Portal 2 Mappers mailing list and report them there. The new SDK is in "beta" so the only way to help is to report it to Valve.
[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

I don't know if this was just a noob mistake on my part since I'm new to mapping but I tried to open up a Portal 1 map I was working on in the new Hammer engine and it worked fine minus a few missing textures and props. I didn't feel like replacing all the textures and stuff so I figured I'd just finish it as a Portal 1 map but as soon as I re-opened the map in Source SDK, the map just crashes Hammer completely.

If you saved over the VMF after opening it with the Portal 2 SDK, it's possible that it wrote some new type of data into the VMF that the older version can't recognize. You can try manually editing the VMF - they are nothing more than text files, after all - and see if there is anything in there that might throw it off.

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

On a prop_dynamic, under the Model tab, when selecting a Sequence, hitting the Apply button applies a sequence other than the one you selected.

The select box values seemed to be mapped incorrectly, as selecting Sequence "peeking_05close_idle" always results in "intro3_floorcollapse_08begin", selecting "intro3_floorcollapse_08begin" always results in "wall_construct_I01_close", etc.

Every time I launch Portal 2 to run my map and quit to go back into Hammer, I can't do anything within Hammer. It's not even completely frozen, I can still open up menus but all of the 2D/3D views are blank and I can't make any brushes or entities. Only way to get around it is to restart Hammer. Also, this is a noob question but is there a quicker way to test maps rather than having to launch and re-launch the game every time I want to test? I was thinking that maybe leaving the game running in the background and then using the dev console to run the updated map should work but I haven't really tried because I think I have a weird paranoia that the game will crash.

Hope there's a solution to the first part of my post. It's pretty annoying.

Quote:
You'll want to launch Portal 2 first, then hammer. However thats only if you running Portal 2 Fullscreen. You should have Portal 2 in windowed mode for easy testing. Quick tip: killing yourself will automatically reload the latest bsp, unless your map has an autosave thats been activated in it. You can easily bind k to kill, and quickly test that way.
Currently working on Darksiders 3.
raulness wrote:
I was thinking that maybe leaving the game running in the background and then using the dev console to run the updated map

This is basically the best method. If you run the game in Windowed mode you have less issues as well. There's nothing to really fear from a game crash, it's not like the game can delete or corrupt anything. In a complete hypothetical situation, the worst it could do is corrupt your BSP - which you could then just recompile your map to get a new one.

I've had no problems importing custom models and textures but there are two things I still can't get To worK

Most of my 44khz music and voice clips stopped working. Tried updating to 88khz to no avail. I think custom sounds just don't work maybe. Something about the audio needs special care.

I love the new icons for env texture toggle. Though I will admit hammer seems to be running slightly slower altogeer.

Oh right my secondnproblem:

Combine ball. I cant seem to find the texture for it. It's obvious doesn't come with portal 2 yet launchers and catchers still animate and function just fine. I love my ball and would love to see it return or find a way to import the hl2 ball.

Sorry for typos I punched this in on an ipad

Thanks for the tips guys. Very helpful stuff. I'll be using it ASAP. Also, about my VMF problem earlier, I guess I'm so used to hitting 'save' from habit that I overwrote the original text file and corrupted it with Portal 2 content. I just started to rebuild the entire map on the new SDK and I'm using it to sort of test myself to see how much of it I can re-create without using tutorials. I love these forums already. You guys are very helpful. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 15Next