Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portals on moving surfaces?

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

Orange portals work something like this i immagine.

The portal gun, weapon_portalgun, you can disable the use of blue or red portals.

Also, there are sevral things, for example.

Prop_portal is a point entity.

it has some settings, first of which links it to any other portals in the sequance.

'portal pair ID'

it also (for some reason) has portal # 1 or 2 in that chain.

starts activated blah blah, then you throw that in the middle of the 2 portal generators.

The ONLY way i could think that you could make a rotating portal is for the fact that it would stop breifly to open before rotating again.

so it would rotate, stop open then rotate, i don't know if prop_portal stays open if you parent it to a ... hmm hang on i'll try it.

Bah, figures they thought of that too.

Prop_portal can't be a child, doesn't have a parent parameter.

Donat wrote:
Orange portals work something like this i immagine.

The portal gun, weapon_portalgun, you can disable the use of blue or red portals.

Also, there are sevral things, for example.

Prop_portal is a point entity.

it has some settings, first of which links it to any other portals in the sequance.

'portal pair ID'

it also (for some reason) has portal # 1 or 2 in that chain.

starts activated blah blah, then you throw that in the middle of the 2 portal generators.

The ONLY way i could think that you could make a rotating portal is for the fact that it would stop breifly to open before rotating again.

so it would rotate, stop open then rotate, i don't know if prop_portal stays open if you parent it to a ... hmm hang on i'll try it.

Yeah, I'm thinking you'd hit a switch to rotate it to a position, then it would stop there and the portal would appear.

Or, what I can do is make a hollow box that is open on one end. Inside, there could be a gun pointed at the wall oposite the opening, similar to the rotating portal gun puzzles from early in the game. It could be encased and unaccessible to use, but it would spawn a portal inside the box which you could then link to.

I'm sure I did a bad job explaining that, and you are wondering just how insane I am. haha

I think I know what you're saying, that is a good idea. Maybe make a map to show us? ;)

Oh also, finished adding attachments, try uploading a screenshot.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

will, first messinga round a bit more, looking for compainon cube, button testing.

Dang button models (big switches) are in 2 part models.

haha Oh really? Is the base a seperate model and just hollow or something?

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Button is sevral parts, first off, its 2 models, one static one that is probly dynamic.

Top button button part and bottom base button.

then a door as the parent to the top button, moves down when pressed, 2 triggers one for player and one for box, when the box is moved into this tiny area it triggers the animation to move down and so on.

Interesting, thanks for the info!

np, if there are enough mappers looking at the site i could write guides... but meh, i'd much rather map but i have few ideas atm.

I am going to work on getting the wiki finished, so you can put tutorials there.

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next