Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portals on moving surfaces?

Page 1 of 3Next

Hey guys

I have an idea for a map, and I'm thinking I'm going to need to change my concept. I wanted to have a spinning block that you would put a portal on, but I'm not sure that would work. I think that if a surface moves, it removes any portal on it. Has anyone tried this yet?

Judging from what we saw in-game, putting them on moving surfaces destroyed them.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
Judging from what we saw in-game, putting them on moving surfaces destroyed them.

Yeah, that was my fear. I think it has to do with the collision mapping and virtual camera they use when the portal is spawned. It does some complex computations on portal creation, and then those values are saved. If the portal is moving, it could be really choppy and buggy. This is all speculation, though. If this is the case, it's probably not negligible for Valve to rework it. But, I'll still bug them about it a bit. There might be a flag we could set that would allow it, but with some performance issues.

Man, I can't wait for the SDK. Gimme gimme gimme.

Wait for the SDK? AHAHHA :P

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/6291/portalmapbk6.jpg

Behold, its our old friend MR turret rocket and the leg of a turret.

They all work, its npc_rocket_turret and npc_portal_turret_floor, just see the mega map thread whatever on how to set it up.

I can rig something up to try sevral moving platforms if your still here to see the results fast.

Yeah try making a func_rotating and see if we can shoot a portal on it.

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Making, shouldn't be too long. going to add the switch as its called in models (timer switch) and get it to work to activate the rotater and a tracktrain.

Sorry, it doesn't work.

As soon as the surface rotates it will close the portal, thus effectly they never are created in the first place. So sorry, doesn't work on a moving surface.

I am working on adding an attachment feature, so the forum might get buggy here soon. If I don't finish in time, upload it to photobucket or something.

Donat wrote:
Sorry, it doesn't work.

As soon as the surface rotates it will close the portal, thus effectly they never are created in the first place. So sorry, doesn't work on a moving surface.

Darn. Thanks for checking that out. I guess my next option is to figure out the static portals.. like in the first missions where you can only make the blues, but not the oranges. There could be a block with one of those on it, and it will activate once rotated, so you can rotate it to access different areas. It would make an interesting puzzle design.. similar the the Legend of Zelda water temple from the latest game.

Man, this game has got my mind racing with possibilities.

Well that is a shame and really ruins some ideas I had! Oh well.

Page 1 of 3Next