Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portal Mapping Tips Megathread

PreviousPage 4 of 4

i think all transparent surfaces are. i don't have the hacked portal sdk resources, and HL2 glass is portal proof.

I first tried replacing hl2 with the Portal stuff (followed instructions exactly other than replacing hl2 rather than deathmatch), but when i finished setting up the configuration in hammer, it just closed and would not open again (silent too; no errors but a dialog flashes open then closes). I had made a (manual) backup of hl2, so I restored it. I then tried replacing deathmatch, but hammer continued to not start up at all. I then restored deathmatch as well, then reinstalled SourceSDK, and tried replacing deathmatch again. Still no luck! What could possibly have gone wrong that isn't fixed by reinstallation?!

Baconfeet :: Any original content was a mistake.

Registry keys, maybe?

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

Actually, I just reinstalled the SDK again and it worked. Steam can be silly sometimes.

Anyhow, it works fine now and I am extremely happy. :D

Baconfeet :: Any original content was a mistake.

Portal Gun; How to get 2 portals!

Here's how to get the portal gun to work in a custom map:

"Use "upgrade_portalgun" in console or with point_servercommand to upgrade the portal gun to use two portals - you can also change this in the weapon_portalgun's keyvalues"

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Portal

I can't launch the SDK, and hammer just crashes when i try to use the portal.fgd file. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Signature removed, no pyramid scheme links allowed. Read the forum rules for information.
-Thanks, The Management
teknogeek1300 wrote:
Portal Gun; How to get 2 portals!

Here's how to get the portal gun to work in a custom map:

"Use "upgrade_portalgun" in console or with point_servercommand to upgrade the portal gun to use two portals - you can also change this in the weapon_portalgun's keyvalues"

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Portal

If you're placing a weapon_portal in your map, there are properties that say "Allow Portal 1" "Allow Portal 2" and the description explains which is which.

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

PreviousPage 4 of 4