Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portal Mapping Tips Megathread

Page 1 of 4Next

Files you will need
- GCFscape, use this to extract files from GCF files. Very handy tool. Link: http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=26
- Portal FGD. Link: Removed, look in the Download Database
- Version 7.3 to 7.2 VTF converter. Link: Removed, look in the Download Database

Thanks to Snakez over at HL2World.com for these files!

I use HL2DM for mapping just about everything, but you could make a new folder and a new game config and everything if you wanted to keep stuff seperate (no reason to, just more work).
- Extract source 2007 models and materials to your hl2mp folder (not sure if this is necessary, but was for TF2 mapping).
- Extract Portal models and materials (in content gcf) to your hl2mp folder.
- Run fixvtf on the materials folder.
- Start hammer, go to config, add portal.fgd
- Think with portals!

Note: Right now I have not tested this, but this is the exact same method I used to map in TF2.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

tried using it as it was a mod using source SDK so on, but it messed up. i don't have the files in the right place for that using the FDG that way, so i think i have to do what you said and mess up HL2DM but i never play it so meh :P

What I did was uninstall HL2DM so that it deleted all of my previous content in there (TF2 stuff), and then re-install it so it was fresh.

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

I'm attempting to set up Portal as a seperate config, i'll let you know how it goes.

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

I get a content server error, i'll just replace Css mapping.

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

I get the same error when doing that,

Gonna DL HL2DM and replace things like ya said :P

I'd love for them just to release it as an SDK thou, make our lives easier.

Don't think its quite possible as of yet. Shouldnt be long until we get the SDK (Late friday / early saturday)

I haven't had a chance to try it out, has nobody had luck?

Also, you can just make a map like normal in Hammer, copy it to your Portal maps folder, and run it from there. All surfaces should work since there is a "$noportal 1" parameter in the VMT that needs to be set in order to disallow Portals on it.

We have confirmation, i just dled HL2:DM, coppied and overwrote the models and materials converted the VTFs on them.

added the portal FDG and started up.

Also i have decomplied a portal bsp to see how everything works, if ya'll need help with any workings, tell me! :)

Page 1 of 4Next