Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portal is the Game of the Year at GDC

Page 1 of 3Next

Portal just won Game of the Year, Best Game Design, and the 2007 Innovation Award at the Game Developer's Conference in San Francisco tonight! I am so happy!

Or as Gabe Newell said at the podium:

Quote:
Orange Box puzzle game?
Digipen students are smart.
The cake is a lie.

More here.

So THAT'S how you do that!

:potd:

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Nothing for Ep2 or tf2 though. :/

Ah well, that's pretty sweet.

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

Grats to Portal!

On another note, I still don't understand how BioShock gets so much recognition for it's story (it won for best writing) - the twist in the middle of the game felt like something from a choose-you-own-adventure book and the ending was so bad that I felt sick for 2 weeks.

I think it's the fact that it left such an impact on you that is a part of why it is so praised.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

I unfortunately have still yet to play it.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

woop portal Very Happy its aabout time it got some game of the century awards too..
Episode 2 is good, but not really award worthy, It suffers from being the middle in the trio - no real begining - no real ending - just more of the same (But that doesn't stop it being really quite awesome along the way)
TF2 is great fun, I'm thoroughly enjoying mapping for it now and testing those maps aswell as playing other customs and the new badlands map. I don't think its worthy of any major awards, maybe a few. All three beat most other games out this year though.

about bioshock: I thought the tech demos looked fantastic and I really wanted to get it, all the reviews were fantastic and there was lots of hype. I downloaded the demo and was sickened. If the actual game is anything like the demo it gets a big fat 0/10 from me.

youme wrote:
Episode 2 is good, but not really award worthy, It suffers from being the middle in the trio - no real begining - no real ending - just more of the same (But that doesn't stop it being really quite awesome along the way) TF2 is great fun, I'm thoroughly enjoying mapping for it now and testing those maps aswell as playing other customs and the new badlands map. I don't think its worthy of any major awards, maybe a few. All three beat most other games out this year though.

So basically Portal should've got all the awards? :lol:

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

dang you read me like a book!

Quote:
Orange Box puzzle game?
Digipen students are smart.
The cake is a lie.

Gabe's haiku is a bit off. I think "orange" is technically 2 syllables.

Also, Bioshock was great fun. Yes the twist was unimaginative (I still didn't see it coming though) and the endings were ridiculously evil or ridiculously sappy, but the gaming experience as a whole was well above average.

Page 1 of 3Next