Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portal 3 - Fanmade Edition - Looking for Moders!

PreviousPage 6 of 8Next

look this may be my first time modding ...not leading ok
i know there are many thing to a mod and some really good mod take year or so...we just a little slow ok ....that and right now I am lazy (only me sonic core is till trying his hardest) i been superviseing him and explaing how to do bits then i up to him and some worker
i was hoping some funny work loving guys would just help him once i had layed out a basic structor of what he had to do.
I stayed because i don't want this to fail nor do i want to take criedit for this! it was just my way of learning some new skills and pushing someone to try and make a succseceful mod sure we got
Lots of peolpe try and fail it just life but trying now and gaining those skill help along the way! that why i will no quit this yet!
sure i am normal the "Idea guy" but i have step up from that and i do many thing from the music to the script and try making some of the levels!
the problem was simple mapping for me that one of many things i can not do... but like i said this is my first mod as well
For all you modder out there rember when you did your first mod!....or better yet when you first looked at hammer! IT was complicated but you tryed! and some may have succseded!
this is not to incurage you to join but to open your mind a bit oh how hard this can be for "noobs" as you would put it. the new peolpe learn from trile and error and slowly make a working mod!

ants64 wrote:
i was hoping some funny work loving guys would just help him once i had layed out a basic structor of what he had to do.

That's okay. I just don't think you'll have too many people signing up for the mod without having much to show for it.

ants64 wrote:
it was just my way of learning some new skills and pushing someone to try and make a succseceful mod

Good! We need more people who just want to learn.

ants64 wrote:
Lots of peolpe try and fail it just life but trying now and gaining those skill help along the way!

And yet you've got the courage to try. That's one of the best attitudes toward a mod that you can have.

ants64 wrote:
sure i am normal the "Idea guy" but i have step up from that and i do many thing from the music to the script and try making some of the levels!

Great! Keep trying new things until you find something you want to continue working on.

ants64 wrote:
...i can not do.

Yes you can.

ants64 wrote:
For all you modder out there rember when you did your first mod!....or better yet when you first looked at hammer! IT was complicated but you tryed! and some may have succseded!
this is not to incurage you to join but to open your mind a bit oh how hard this can be for "noobs" as you would put it. the new peolpe learn from trile and error and slowly make a working mod!

I did not mean to put your mod down. Nothing is born without ambition. All I'm saying is that you should start small. This probably seems a bit hypocritical coming from me as I haven't released any maps yet and still I'm working on a mod, but at least I've got a lot of experience with the Sourcr Engine. I didn't mean to say that you couldn't get it done either. I just wanted to point out a couple of things in an effort to help you out. Sorry if I offended you at all.

Released Maps
[spoiler]WOM Test 1
Laser Cube Quest
Mho' Power - Community Spotlight!
Four Corners[/spoiler]

Thank you
i will start working on this project again
but it just to prove that i am jugaling a lot as in this mod and then life as well
(end of high school)
and tomorow or tonight i will restart my work a lot more!
but it just dificaly with just two peolpe working on this but will will build a better structor and script then we will add more and more like a art piece

Ask for help at moddb

we are at the moment not a single reply yet

Look, dont hang out for people to join, as has been said the more you have the more people want to join. There are too many failed mods out there for people to join onto any one they find, youve got to prove that youre committed to making this thing work. Hammer is really easy to learn how to use once you get going, if you can get some of your ideas working then you can convince people to join your team.

I think in terms of boolean variables. Generally, it makes things easier.

i am redownloading all my old tools and getting ready (i will make a map or two then the introduction and maybe some more bits later on) make some more music and my own little trailer if sonic core aproves!

ants64 wrote:
we are taking a break from this project and may not be made unless we gain some more peolpe and as ASBusinessMagnet said
It's all posible!!!

Sorry but from the moment I saw this post I thought it was going to fail. Not to be mean, but whoever leads a mod should be the main supplier of its material, from what I've gathered here, he didn't have that capability

instead of making a mod, just make a mappack, get good at hammer first, then make a mod next year... although it takes about a year to make a solid mod, so be prepared for that time commitment

Also, I made a map just for you! Sunset
Click Here to view my Workshop and play my puzzlemaker maps
BenVlodgi wrote:
ants64 wrote:
we are taking a break from this project and may not be made unless we gain some more peolpe and as ASBusinessMagnet said
It's all posible!!!

Sorry but from the moment I saw this post I thought it was going to fail. Not to be mean, but whoever leads a mod should be the main supplier of its material, from what I've gathered here, he didn't have that capability

instead of making a mod, just make a mappack, get good at hammer first, then make a mod next year... although it takes about a year to make a solid mod, so be prepared for that time commitment

I do think we where in some ways...unready yes but for me like i said ..it was more of a test and we may not make it...but we may! we may always try! so i take the comment not as a offence but as more of a wake up call but your not directing it to me xD so i think i will just brush up my hammer skills and from there go on

I agree with Ben.
Main contributor is often the person that should be in charge of the mod. That person has (or should have) a vision for the total mod. How it is suppose to be. The main contributor shows his progress to other members to get inspiration for the style, the puzzles and attention to details. (s)he should also share his/her vision with the rest of the team. Together a final product should be made.

And I've probably said this before, otherwise others will have: but "Portal 3 fan-made edition" is a very, very bad name for a mod. Why?
1) It sets the bar very very high. Too high. It took a great team of very experience mappers a couple of years to create portal 2. With a small mod team, with less experienced people that amount of time is just too long. You won't have your team motivated for so long. And probably the quality won't be so good.
2) A (fan-made) sequel should add new things, not just new maps.
3) You need a lot of custom voices/video/story/textures to live up to your name. That's just too much.
4) You will get into copyright problems.

So I won't discourage you to go make an awesome mod, please do so! But don't call it portal 3 and let an experienced mapper lead your mod. That's the best chance for success ;)

~Lp

PreviousPage 6 of 8Next