Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portal 2 custom sounds

Page 1 of 2Next

So i used a gcf extractor to get a sound from portal 2. I then edited the sound a little bit, and i feel its ready. There is just one problem.... I gave the sound the same name, and i first tried to put it in portal 2/portal2/sound/vo/announcer/prehub42.wav but that didnt work. Then i tried to put it in addons/vo/announcer/prehub42.wav and it still didnt work... So any ideas how to make this work? I really have no idea.. This method has worked for me before on other source games, but i guess portal 2 (since is it is a different source engine) has changet that. Any ideas?

Please note, i wanna change the sound only for me, i would never give it away, and its just for testing purposes.

When the sound is to play and it does not, open the developer console and look what stuff it has to say about your sound.

Test Chamber 74:
(percentage calculation sphere self-test failed!)
108.1% done, -8.1% remaining...
Released here!

All maps for Portal (1/2) worth playing are mirrored here.

No, the sound plays, but that is the default sound. I was playing an official valve map, and as i understand, they play sound files from a file at your computer, so if you change that file, but have the same name it will basically play the new one.
Conclusion: The normal sound plays, but not the one i made... it did have the same name, i just dont know where to put it.

You have to rebuild your sound cache.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

How do i do that?

Ah...don't know about rebuilding the sound cache, but I think you might have to edit the VPK pak01_dir. Sort of like the way Hunter wrote up to replace textures, I think the VPK system only defaults to a commonportal 2portal2 file if it can't find the correct file in the VPKs. Try messing with pak01_dir.vpk (MAKE A BACKUP FIRST) and it might work.

Now with 100% more inline comments!

You can place custom VPKs in the addons/ directory in the root portal 2/portal2/ directory. You'll have to create it as it doesn't exist by default, but putting VPKs there does work.

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

okay so i tried that.. i made a folder i called pak01_dir and i made it into a VPK, then i put it in addons(which i created also) and the folders inside the VPK is sound/vo/announcer/ just like the original VPK... still does not work...

TheAlexby wrote:
i made a folder i called pak01_dir and i made it into a VPK

Err, no. The contents of the VPK should reflect the directory structure of the portal 2/portal2/ root directory. Making a folder to hold your custom sounds/ directory is purely for convenience. You don't VPK the "some bullshit directory name", you VPK the sounds/, maps/, directories inside it.

Okay so i didn't get that, at all... I'm not very good at english, could you just make an example? like, "The vpk should be called (NAME) it should contain (Folders and files etc) and you place it (folder to place it)" ? :)

Page 1 of 2Next