Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portal 2 Criticism

PreviousPage 4 of 7Next

Never said it was random, it just took me some trial and error to finish it. Sorry I critized your beloved panels.

zivi7 wrote:
Never said it was random, it just took me some trial and error to finish it. Sorry I critized your beloved panels.

Well if you think about it than it shouldn't require any trial and error. For example

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

"...those who would break the rules and laws are reguarded as scum, but those who would abandon even one of their friends, are worse than scum." -Obito Uchiha
Youtube Channel My Workshop
My Maps/Projects:

[spoiler]Maps:
RBC 1 RBC 2
Blue Walls
Converting Propulsion
One Week Creation
Secondary Fire
Flings Speed Patience
Ongoing Projects:
Alive & Kicking: Chamber 18 Secondary Fire[/spoiler]

zivi7 wrote:
Maybe I was just too stupid ...

Well, it was obviously that then.

zivi7 wrote:
zivi7 wrote:
Maybe I was just too stupid ...

Well, it was obviously that then.

hahahaha

:hi5:

I just realized that I received responses to this thread. Thanks for the help everyone!

The main issue I had with the second game was that each section of the game felt incredibly rushed.

You meet GLaDOS, BOOM, a couple of chambers later you feel like you've done some tutorials for the new test elements and then suddenly the next act begins!
BOOM! You do a couple of underground chambers and then it ends suddenly.
BOOM! You get to the incredible Wheatley chambers which are undoubtedly the best in the game, just as the difficulty finally begins to increase when you get to the final couple of tests (the one with the blue gel) BOOM! It ends suddenly.

They had the opportunity to actually put in some damn decent tests that really challenged your naos, instead the entire game felt, in the same was the first, like a test bed. A series of unfinished tutorial levels for something bigger and better. Ultimately it was the custom maps that saved Portal 2 for me.

Another issue was the change in "atmosphere", whereas the first game had an ominous dilapidated look (massively helped by the weird ambient soundtrack) with test chambers covered in dust and Ratman's cryptic messages and back areas open to view, the second one in its bid to be bigger and better had huge open chambers which lost that claustrophobic underground feeling and replaced it with shiny black walls and deliberately comedic dialogue, it was inevitable really.

The only test chamber I had any serious trouble on was the final Wheatley one with the blue gel, the funnel and the turrets.

The Irate Pirate wrote:
The only test chamber I had any serious trouble on was the final Wheatley one with the blue gel, the funnel and the turrets.

The one where you can get a turret to shoot the Wheatley screen?

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]

I agree that the feeling of the game was weird. I really miss that one soundtrack from portal that played in test chamber 14. That "do do do do, doooo do do dooo..."

Or something like that.

Big Mood

I think I know the one you mean. The really desolate sounding music that also plays in the first fling room?

My favourite soundtrack from P1 is the one that plays in the room where you get the blue portal gun. (The file is called "taste of blood", after the comment GLaDOS makes about the fizzlers.)

I used that one in the first large part of Manic Mechanic because it fits that environment perfectly. I hope it's possible to use P1 music in P2, because I have plans for another stark futuristic environment with lost of glass :)

The P2 soundtrack sounds a lot more polished, but it lacks character IMO.

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic

What distracted you from the gameplay?
What forced you to stop playing the game for a while?
Which puzzles made you stupid even after you figured it out and why?
When you feel misled or betrayed by the game at any point?
Where you feel bored at any point in the game? Underground, especially when there was conversion gel involved
What sequence(s) let you down after psyching you up? Old Aperture after the Stalemate room
Where you feel a lack of ingenuity and why?
What did you feel Portal 2 missed?
If you could remove three features from Portal 2, what would they be? Old Aperture, Conversion gel, Repulsion gel
Where did you feel like there was too little reward?
Where did you feel like there was too much reward? (Dangling a carrot?)
Where did you lose your suspension of disbelief and say that can't possibly happen at any point?
Where did the storyline fall short?
Did the transitions between puzzles feel awkward? Where did it interrupt gameplay? Going from the BTS Aperture to the underground
Where did the game feel repetitive after a few times? The gel puzzles.

As you can tell, I hated underground Aperture. :angrysquare:

PreviousPage 4 of 7Next