Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portal 2 Criticism

PreviousPage 3 of 7Next

http://www.moddb.com/mods/rexaura

It seems like Conversion Gel was only put into the game for that one level, in order to give them an excuse to create scripted portal walls later (exempli gratia, in the final boss battle). I agree, they should have used it more, or not at all.

I also think that they should have used the Adhesion Gel instead, which they could have made into many more tests than they did the Conversion Gel. (I mean, does double-flinging not cause nausea as it is? What kind of reason is that?)

Falsi sumus crusto!

I thought that the BTS area at the end of sp_a2_turret_intro was a bit misleading. I thought that I was escaping aperture and GLaDOS didn't know. When I found that I was heading for a new chamber, I was really disappointed and wondered what the point was.

Big Mood
FelixGriffin wrote:
It seems like Conversion Gel was only put into the game for that one level, in order to give them an excuse to create scripted portal walls later (exempli gratia, in the final boss battle). I agree, they should have used it more, or not at all.

I also think that they should have used the Adhesion Gel instead, which they could have made into many more tests than they did the Conversion Gel. (I mean, does double-flinging not cause nausea as it is? What kind of reason is that?)

Personally I think that white gel is only added for the story (moon dust) and the final portal ofc. The first test with the white gel is something I didn't solve properly until I saw my bf playing it. I've used some sort of sick quadruple fling to get up where I wanted to be instead of the much easier tower->tower fling thing. And that's the biggest problem with white gel; it can get anywhere, get everywhere and kill every puzzle. So people can spent ages to get an unintended solution to work without seeing the intended one ever.

On the point of sticky gel: yes, double flinging could cause some nausea, but if you have constant gravity switches it gets a lot lot worse, try to play a game like "And Yet it moves" and you will notice how gravity changes can completely cause some nausea. But specially combing those two gravity changing things makes it extremely confusing.

Standing on the ceiling, jumping up to fall down, then go into the portal on the floor to get fling through the portal on the other side, to fling onto a wall, land, walk there, rotated 90 degrees in comparison to the floor, then walk over the edge and get to the normal gravity again. Nausea guaranteed.

My only criticism for Portal 2 is that most non-testing/puzzle areas were pretty linear. I like having the opportunity to explore a little bit (which is something I try to do in some of my maps). Although there are some areas you could explore, it was very limited.

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]

Maybe I was just too stupid but...
...I hated how the end fight was just trial and error to find out which of those panels would fire the bombs past Wheatley's defenses in his different defense states.

Another Bad Pun wrote:

Is this in response to something, or are you just suggesting that people play it?

CamBen wrote:
No more Combine balls :thumbdown:

This, presumably.

Also, it is just a cool mod. :)

Falsi sumus crusto!
zivi7 wrote:
...I hated how the end fight was just trial and error to find out which of those panels would fire the bombs past Wheatley's defenses in his different defense states.

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

The Aperture Alpha
A map pack coming soon. - click for more information
Brainstone wrote:
zivi7 wrote:

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

Yea, it's DEFINITELY NOT random, nor does it require any trial and error. The panels do a tremendously brilliant job conveying where the weak points are...

PreviousPage 3 of 7Next