Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Map titles

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

don't know this command then? "maps *"

it lists all the .bsp files in the maps folder.

ive been mapping for about 5 years in hl and hl2 i know how to bring up all the commands and my experience is why im stressing this point. The more streamlined and professional something is the more it catches on. I really cant understand why you guys are throwing up so much flak on just adding a little bit before your map name?

eventually people will have about 50 custom maps loaded each, all with the same prefix... which is just as unhelpful as all 50 of them having no prefix.
But I can see where your coming from, there should probably be some standardised prefix. I went for pt_... because the way i pronounce it the P and T are the most prominat letters. although ptl_ or pl_ or por_ or even portal_ would do fine.

Well this problem goes hand in hand with the other issue I know plagues mappers. Naming sequences, you name a map jonssuperportal.bsp and you release it. Then a few hours later you find you are missing a texture or something so you re-compile and re-release jonssuperportal.bsp but you don't rename it....thats no good. When putting out a map for the first time don't use the name you really want to be the final. Put out something like this instead jonssuperportal_r1.bsp. Then just add up the "release" canadites until your satisfied and then you can go with jonssuperportal.bsp.

But "espen180_portal02" is okay right?

http://www.dpgames.co.uk/

Sanity is not statistical.

It's not so much flak as much as, at least in my case, just simply not sharing the opinion that it adds to "professionality". If it adds no meaning to a map because it does not differentiate it from any other map for the same game, then I am more inclined to not include it for artistic reasons. In fact, I would have to say it is counter to the idea of streamlining, since it would be effectively dead weight at the beginning of every map name.

Actually I was thinking, we could come up with a different prefix pretaining to the type of portal maps. Say a map thats heavy into a puzzles gets one prefix while a map that is mostly just flinging gets another.

You're forgetting that most people who make linear fling maps think they made a clever puzzle. :?

http://www.dpgames.co.uk/

Sanity is not statistical.

Let's also not forget about the Bonus Map scripts (which EVERYONE should be using now!), which negates the need for such map file name conventions. When you load up your map via the Bonus Map screen, it displays a real name for the map and not "fy_de_dust_party2007_beta45".

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

hmmm.. many mappers on other sites are using a "pl_" prefix I think that that makes sense.

Portal Maps and Mods - browse, rate, play
PreviousPage 2 of 3Next