Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Map titles

Page 1 of 3Next

In looking through all the custom maps I have played over the past two weeks something just striked me...there is no standard in map prefix. For instance with Day of Defeat all maps start with dod_ for Counter Strike defuse maps; de_

It just doesn't seem very professional to have one map called "stewsawesomecoolmap" and another called pl_obstacle

A little too early in the Portal community life to expect any form of naming standard to be followed; but yes, it should be (eventually), and I would think that beginning with 'por_" would be the logical choice.

Its what I am going to do, anyway. :)

Thats because all of the portal maps don't start with anything but yeah we should have maps named with "pl_<mapname>".

When i usually download a map i have to alt tab out of the game just to see what it's name was, now i realize thats my fault but usually people have the prefix as "pl" or "por" or even "portal_"

I think now is actually the best time to put forth a standard, that way everyone that follows will use it instead of trying to get people to change later on

Portal doesn't have different game modes like Counterstrike or Team Fortress 2. Is there really a point to having a prefix?

I'd say we should do "twp_", but I might be a bit biased. ;)

But yeah I'm with Shmitz, there's no point in having a prefix since that whole concept was introduced with CS when the prefix signified the gameplay type.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

not really much need for a prefix, unless you're using a well known maop name from a different steam game.

just dont call your map something stupid like "bobs_awesome_super_dooper_portal_map_made_of_pure_pwnage.bsp"

youme wrote:
not really much need for a prefix, unless you're using a well known maop name from a different steam game.

just dont call your map something stupid like "bobs_awesome_super_dooper_portal_map_made_of_pure_pwnage.bsp"

Aww, now I need a name for my map again.

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

heh, nice one

Day of Defeat is just flag captures but all their maps start with dod_

Its a broad based identifier and it looks more professional. Its also easier for players to remember maps, I can't tell you how many times I have to alt tab about because I can't remember someones map they named after themselves instead of being original and making up a quality name that reflects the map.

Page 1 of 3Next