Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Lets talk about "adding" stuff to the game.

PreviousPage 3 of 3

That would be great!

It would be awesome to have a mod where it's hl2:dm but there is a secret portal gun somewhere.
And only the one that finds it will have it.
So when they die it dissappears.

I think something more along the lines of Holy Wars would be cool, where the person with the Portal Gun would be trying to avoid everyone else, so on. That was a great mod for HL1.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
I think something more along the lines of Holy Wars would be cool, where the person with the Portal Gun would be trying to avoid everyone else, so on. That was a great mod for HL1.

We used to call that "Smear the Queer" in high school...

Yeah, same sort of concept. The Holy Wars mod brought that into Half-Life and it was a ton of fun.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

OK think I have something going here in my mind and I want to run it by you guys if any of you think it is a good idea / want to be involved... I've already started on the design doc and will probably have something up here soon if response is good.

I would like to make a single player mod, where gorden freeman investigates the happenings here at Aperture Science, and possibly lead into (but not creating) borealis.

What do you think?

Motive? G-Man wants to get a hold of the portalgun for his own uses.. seeing as how Shell/Chell... is still in possession of it at the end of the game.. yeah?

Toss me your opinions.

I definitely like the idea of a surface that ricochets the portal beam. That could really be interesting. Also, I thought of a couple other elements that could be used to good effect.

First, how about a Weighted Explosive Cube with a nice red-accented paintjob?

Of course, since you don't have any conventional weapons, you couldn't shoot it, but suppose it would explode when it hit something with enough force. You'd have to figure out how to send it through a series of portals to build momentum and hit its target. It could be used to take out turrets or to break glass to open new paths. Or you could trick turrets into shooting it after you'd placed it where an explosion would be useful. (Maybe the exlposive cubes could even be used to take out so-far indestructible missle turrets?)

A clever level designer could even turn this idea around and give you an explosive cube that you would have to get to a button without blowing it up.

Second, I think a non-portalable slippery surface would be really useful. You could use it to make slides or ramps that would change the direction of the players momentum while hardly slowing them down. For instance, let's say you made a J-shaped brush with this surface. The player could put a horizontal portal at the low end of the J, fling himself through it, and his horizontal momentum would be redirected upward by the J-ramp. (I hope I'm explaining this clearly.)

What do you guys think?

Cr00ked.
PreviousPage 3 of 3