Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Just a note to say hi and great job

PreviousPage 2 of 8Next
Killerblonde wrote:
The hacks were annoying, but kind of awesome in a way. I didn't think it was too hard,
Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
The guy used tts voice cuz he was russian btw...

French. Not Russian. That and he/the team had neither the resources nor the time to hire a professional voice actor.

And kind of awesome in a way? Well, I guess, but I still think it was a horrible way to implement them at least. I guess the idea was to avoid them with portals--because there's obviously no way to defend yourself against them--but even so it felt a little lame to just rip an enemy out of HL2.

Now with 100% more inline comments!

Well, at least GLaDOS put up more of a fight. I also found a "Super Mario Bros" warp room. That was awesome.

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]
MasterLagger wrote:
Well, at least GLaDOS put up more of a fight. I also found a "Super Mario Bros" warp room. That was awesome.

Yeah but you could have Chell find a shotgun in Portal 2 and say she put up more of a fight against the turrets too but it still wouldn't fit.

But yeah, the Super Mario Brothers room was awesome. Has to have been one of the best easter eggs I've ever seen.

Now with 100% more inline comments!

I have to admit that the "advisor-ish attack" she used was uncalled for. You know, the one she used to burn all the scientists.

My reaction: :shock:

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]

French?

Well, I guess I'll take your word for it... I really don't know where I got Russian from...

GLaDOS in Portal Prelude was a little annoying to beat, (challenging is good, but this was just over the top,) but it had a ceartain charm. When you finally 'won' it really made you feel like you accomplished something,

Spoiler
That gave it a bittersweet ending, that I loved.

Again, GLaDOS's advisor-ish attack, is just too much.

Spoiler

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"

I have to agree with those who said Portal 2 ruined Portal in certain ways. I replayed Portal after beating 2, and it felt different to me. I was mildly annoyed by the timing-based puzzles that allowed a small margin of error, and didn't like the energy balls as much as all the elements in Portal 2.

Portal is still awesome, but it just wasn't the same for me after playing Portal 2, which is a longer, richer, and less timing-based game. (I know some people like timing-based puzzles, but I don't like having to retry something multiple times when I know what I have to do but just wasn't quick enough).

Winner of the Nobel Prize for Being Immune to Neurotoxin

Thanks for over 1,000 downloads: The Cold Shoulder

Portal also had more tricks and glitches you could pull without cheating. For example, knocking down a turret near the entrance to GLaDOS's Chamber so the bullets the turret shoots goes through the Emancipation Grid, hits GLaDOS and knocks down her cores.
The some test chambers also had more than one solution compared to the test chambers in Portal 2.

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"

The entire chamber design was different in Portal 2. In the original, they felt like they had been designed for actual testing, to see how well subjects could operate the portal device and if they could get their head around specific concepts. Then, when you finish all the tests, you get to try out your skills in the "real world".

In the sequel, the tests no longer seem to be testing anything; they're more like puzzles where one has to sit down and think about which order to do things in. Whichever you prefer, I think it was somewhat of a mistake to return to the same format for Portal 2. It really feels redundant after a while.

SPOILER ALERT BELOW: (I'm too lazy to put the black boxes around every little thing that spoils something. If you're on the mapping forums reading about stuff and you didn't beat the games, you know what you're getting in to.)

Portal was meant to be a test; Valve didn't know how people would like the game. The HL referrance they threw it was probably for fun, because they didn't know if the game would be successful enough to bother continuing it.

Portal 2, because of its predecessor's success, was designed to reach as many people as possible. No more blood. No more red screens of near death, a 'cuter' looking Chell, instead of the beaten, weary Chell in portal 1. Humor over dark ambience. Good in GLaDOS over pure evil vs Chell. Lasers, bright lights, and plastic stuff over concrete, metal, and darkness.

Loyal fans of Portal 1 prefer a puzzle game with an unexpected twist storyline, and hugely unexpected tie in with Half Life. Portal 2 fans prefer puzzles, funny lines, and an perfect ending where all is good and you are set free. Portal 1's orignal ending was the best in my mind; you aren't sure if you died or not, you lost your only companion, and you don't know what state the world is in. But you are free one way or another; and that's what's important. In Portal 2, you have your cube, GLaDOS is kind of good 'again', everything is happy and the evil is out in space begging for redemption. (That last bit was actually darker than anything else in Portal 2; I'm suprised people think an immortal robot floating in space, wishing it could undo the damage it did is funny. In my honest opinion, that would be a fate worse than death.)

Anyhow, that's my spiel. It's kind of funny how a whole discussion was started just by a guy saying 'good job mappers!'.

PreviousPage 2 of 8Next