Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Information on Portal 2 Puzzle Creator

PreviousPage 9 of 10Next
andyb wrote:
What would be good is if it spits out a vmf,vmx, etc, etc to import.If it doesnt have that then its pretty much useless for serious mappers

even if it doesn't, "spit them out," I'm pretty sure it has .vmf files hidden somewhere in our game files, so, with searching, it can probably be done. Keep in mind that I haven't gone searching; this is just a theory.

Also, I've noticed that the in-game map builder has quite a few limitations. If anyone has a way past any of these, please let me know.
-only start and finish doors are available, and no extra circular dors can be made
-no trigger brushes (for things such as events based on a player's location, not action)
-if two buttons (or laser catchers, whatever) are connected to the same door (again, or an elevator or something), both need to be activated to open the door
-only large cubic units of brush can be used
-no stylistic texture or model changes (e.g. destroyed vs. clean)
-no grates! (I was really surprised when I couldn't find that one)

mrbob806 wrote:
no grates! (I was really surprised when I couldn't find that one)

Actually there are grates; you have to place down glass and then right click on it to change it to a grate.

Destroyed, underground, wheatley maps have too many variables to count, such as bottomless pits, broken panels, thin walls, broken ceilings, displacements, foilage.

Moth wrote:
lpfreaky90 wrote:
It's going to be awesome.
Confirmed by valve.

It's going to be easier then hammer.
Confirmed by valve.

Well, both of those turned out to be false didn't they? :-p

Dear valve: Stop wasting time on this crap and give me my Episode 3

:potd:

I think in terms of boolean variables. Generally, it makes things easier.

Thread is now obsolete.

Lock please!

Spam at critical levels. Forum overheating. Evacuate immediately.
(Don't listen to him, we'll be fine)

--
Old signature preserved for historical reasons.
I wonder what happens when Cave Johnson gets his pain pills...

*Cough*LOCKPLEASE*Cough*

--
Pipeline wrote:
*Cough*LOCKPLEASE*Cough*

Why? If you didn't bump it it wouldn't be up here again ;)
We usually don't lock threads, they'll die by themselves.

More importantly, you sure as shit don't give orders around here.

I think the puzzle creator is awesome. It gives people who might not otherwise have a chance to make content a way to make content. Hammer isn't easy, especially if you are totally new to 3D design. If even 1% of people who use the puzzle creator decide to look further, get into Hammer or some other engine and in some way get involved in game design... Then that's a win in my book.

I think the puzzle creator is absolutely easier to use than Hammer. Hammer is a pain in the ass, again, compared to other 3D suites. But even other 3D engines aren't the most user friendly. The puzzle creator turned mapping into effectively a flash game. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's only been out in public for a few weeks. They'll improve upon it as time goes, they'll add new things and new features. Just give it time.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:

But...
The thread is obsolete now. The Puzzle Creator's out. This thread was only for before that.

--
Pipeline wrote:
msleeper wrote:

But...
The thread is obsolete now. The Puzzle Creator's out. This thread was only for before that.

Geez... if you keep bumping it with this kind of posts it's never going to die, fine gee, I'll lock it :boring:

PreviousPage 9 of 10Next