Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Idicator Strips (New SDK)

Page 1 of 2Next

I tried using Search and I still came up with nothing useful. I tried looking at official maps, and still found nothing useful. Could someone please help me set up the indicator strip lights using the new SDK? I saw in a post, someone do it correctly and I'm really looking for some guidance here. Thanks.

I like my girls like I like my cars, I like them fast, I like them automatic, and I know I'm in trouble if I reach down and feel a stick.

You have to use some new entities I believe. In fact, someone should do a tutorial on the Wiki!

I'd suggest looking in the VMF, but you said you already did that. I haven't looked at that map myself so I'm not sure what all is in there.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Well see, when I look at the official maps, I find all sorts of confusing stuff, and none of it seems to actually connect to each other. There seems to be no sign of like, what's connecting what to what, how, and argh, it's confusing. :?

I like my girls like I like my cars, I like them fast, I like them automatic, and I know I'm in trouble if I reach down and feel a stick.

Click on one of the indicator strips on the floor and check it's name. Then, click on the Output tab to see what is sending commands to it, and click Mark. That will highlight the entity that sent the commands, but you'll have to move around the camera to find it exactly. Look at the Inputs to see exactly what it is doing.

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
Click on one of the indicator strips on the floor and check it's name. Then, click on the Output tab to see what is sending commands to it, and click Mark. That will highlight the entity that sent the commands, but you'll have to move around the camera to find it exactly. Look at the Inputs to see exactly what it is doing.

Alright, I think that answers a big chunk of how they're connected, but I'm still not seeing how these info_overlay_accessors are in any way, connected to the info_overlay they are toggling. :|

Actually the indicator strips seem to be toggled by an env_texturetoggle just like we used to do it before. It's hanging around in the left corner of the room in the sample map; note that its target is "doorstate_a02b_left", which matches the indicator strip overlays.

Link, mah boi, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!

Well the Valve Developer wiki doesn't have anything about it so I can't be sure, but I bet it has something to do with the hammerid.

EDIT Korjagun beat me to the chase.

Korjagun wrote:
Actually the indicator strips seem to be toggled by an env_texturetoggle just like we used to do it before. It's hanging around in the left corner of the room in the sample map; note that its target is "doorstate_a02b_left", which matches the indicator strip overlays.

Nothing in the indicator strip overlays themselves, say anything about "doorstate_a02b_left" or what ever is being targeted. That's what is confusing me. The indicator strips seem to have no link to the texture toggle or the overlay assessors at all!

PS: I am still working on this while waiting for reply s, I haven't just given up and am sitting here waiting mindlessly for the answer. I am still trying.

Er?

[img]http://www.monkeyblah.com/misc/overlay_props.png[/img]

EDIT: Judging by your screenshot, you have multiple (differing) entities selected. Switch to object select mode and just select the strip and not whatever else it happens to be grouped with.

Link, mah boi, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!

I had them all selected, showing that none of the variables seem to be matching up. They all seem to say <different>.

Here's a screenshot of a single overlay selected.

Edit: I should also mention that this is actually map: testchmb_a_00_d

Page 1 of 2Next