Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Idea: Portal Multiplayer

PreviousPage 8 of 10Next
Remmiz wrote:
Let me guess, you like playing Garry's Mod?

Yeh... I do...
But I do see enough gametypes which can be fun, perhaps not with people liking puzzle games, but most likely people who like tournament like games.
Aperture Tournament, I'm sure there will be people who will like it.

Be advised that any noticable taste of blood isn't part of any test protocol. But is an unintended side effect of the Hand-Held-High-Energy-Pellet.

Bulska, you seem to be full of ideas on this topic. As I say, I don't see it from a conceptual point of view, but I would love to be proven wrong.

I'd say start drafting some kind of design doc, maybe on the wiki and make us see what we're not seeing.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

I might do that...

But perhaps u do see what I see, and just think it's stupid =D
Anything's possible.

Be advised that any noticable taste of blood isn't part of any test protocol. But is an unintended side effect of the Hand-Held-High-Energy-Pellet.
Bulska wrote:
But perhaps u do see what I see, and just think it's stupid =D

:potd:

do NOT click this

Muliplayer Portal makes about as much sense to me as making a multiplayer version of Tetris.

bizob wrote:
Muliplayer Portal makes about as much sense to me as making a multiplayer version of Tetris.

QFT. Portal is a single player game hands down in my book and should stay that way.

I disagree. I don't see any way to make it fun, but I'd dearly like to see someone else who can make it fun do it right. It may not be doable, but I think it'd be cool.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

What if I would make a map for HL2 Team Deathmatch or Garrysmod or whatever, and then I would make it like how I would make a map for Portal Multiplayer.

Portal CTF idea:
Two teams orange and blue,two bases,flags separated by fizlers(so you cant put portal next to the flag and just do everything easy way),and some powerup on the center of the map(you are faster,bonus turret for your team for some time,destroy enemy portals and prevent enemies from putting them for some time, etc.)
The goal is to deliver enemy flag to your base in time limit,if you don`t capture the flag,and timer runs out,flag is returned.Each team also has one turret,and when it is destroyed,turret delivery system(such as for the cubes)delivers new one.
Someone mentioned that you won`t know what portal is yours and what is not.Well it doesn`t matter because you can cooperate with your teammates or use enemy to trick them.
But there should be name of the player that placed portal and some sort of indicator to show where is the other portal.

I have a good idea to easily make portal multiplayer... it will be all up to the mappers what the gametype will be.

Portal Multiplayer should be efficient enough:
- When it can support multiple players in one map.
- When there is an entity which controls how many teams there are.
- When there is an entity which shows the score for each team, then there can be inputs such as: Addscore, Substractscore, Setwinscore.
- When there is an entity which controls the player classes, such as a class which can only use Portal gun or a class which can only use guns.
Then it will be all up to the mapper how things will play.

I would make a Capture The Cube map. People can choose between 2 classes, a class with the Portal gun but nothing else or a class with normal guns but no Portal gun.
Then there would be two incinerators at each side of the map, one for each team. Along with a Cube (reskinned to the teams colour) for each team. When the enemy Cube gets thrown down your incinerator, you score! :D

Cube and such is all picked up like normal. If that's possible with multiplayer.
It's all up to the mappers imagination on what sort of map there will be made. Maybe team-force fields and turrets to make it a little tactical.

Or buttons... If your cube is on a button, you score 1 each second, then there should be about 3 to 5 buttons all around the map.

PreviousPage 8 of 10Next