Please or Register to create posts and topics.

FourthReaper Texture Pack: Fields

PreviousPage 2 of 5Next
protoborg wrote:
I figured, just as there is a page there about the Portal 2 roller mine and tracking laser, there ought to be a page about these things.

Oh, I see what you did there, you made a page on how to make these configurations specifically. I'll look into that page. Thanks for that :D. So far it seems pretty accurate, I just want to make sure you didn't by any chance miss a brush or flag...

But now I get what you mean. ;)

EDIT:
Just read the part about the Surface Division Field.
A few notes:

1. Some links don't look too great, Level_Design_Introduction_(Portal_2)/Your_First_Level, for instance, could be written down shorter...
  2. I'd mention that most of the time you'll need to make the SDF two-ways. That is to say, front and back.
  3. I actually recommend making the trigger_portal_cleanser thicker than one unit. The two linked_portal_doors (again, front and back) should be at least a unit apart and the field needs to be in front of the portals...
  4. Upon making a SDF in conjunction with lasers or funnels, you probably want to add a func_brush with nodraw between front and back or behind just the front so those won't act really really weird.
  5. If you don't enclose the portals with a frame, there won't be any errors. It just doesn't look good and can be glitchy as there's no natural frame...
  6. Could you suggest that people look at the vmf of this file to see exactly how it works?

Also, you place underscores at the strangest places! Some things should have them, while others don't. Huh, this is almost reversed? :P

The rest is solid, though! :thumbup:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Maps in Development:
[spoiler]- Penrose 04 (on hold)[/spoiler]
FourthReaper wrote:
Some links don't look too great, Level_Design_Introduction_(Portal_2)/Your_First_Level, for instance, could be written down shorter...

I did this because the link refused to work otherwise.
Edit: I have fixed this one.

FourthReaper wrote:
[*]I'd mention that most of the time you'll need to make the SDF two-ways. That is to say, front and back.

Most people are going to be putting the thing in a wall so the likelihood of each world portal being seen from the back is pretty slim, but I understand what you are saying. Maybe that should include a note about making freestanding ones double-sided.

FourthReaper wrote:
[*]I actually recommend making the trigger_portal_cleanser thicker than one unit. The two linked_portal_doors (again, front and back) should be at least a unit apart and the field needs to be in front of the portals...

Putting the field in front of the portal is not a bad idea. Making the field more than 1 unit, though, will lead to some very strange visual behavior when you pass through it.

FourthReaper wrote:
[*]Upon making a SDF in conjunction with lasers or funnels, you probably want to add a func_brush with nodraw between front and back or behind just the front so those won't act really really weird.

Good idea.

FourthReaper wrote:
[*]If you don't enclose the portals with a frame, there won't be any errors. It just doesn't look good and can be glitchy as there's no natural frame...

Actually, world portals WON'T compile if they are not enclosed. I know from experience.

FourthReaper wrote:
[*]Could you suggest that people look at the vmf of this file to see exactly how it works?

That is not half bad. It would be a good idea, indeed.

FourthReaper wrote:
Also, you place underscores at the strangest places! Some things should have them, while others don't. Huh, this is almost reversed? :P

I was merely linking to other articles and some of them require the link to have underscores. It is interesting which ones do and which ones don't.

Wow! That was...uh, yeah. Just, yeah.

Actually, world portals WON'T compile if they are not enclosed. I know from experience.
I think FourthReaper means that there won't be problems when there is no frame around it. There need to be world brushes around it or there will be leaks ;)

lpfreaky90 wrote:
protoborg wrote:

I think FourthReaper means that there won't be problems when there is no frame around it. There need to be world brushes around it or there will be leaks ;)

That is what I meant in the article I wrote.

FourthReaper, please fell free to edit the article if you like.

I haven't been online for a couple' days, sorry about that... :o

protoborg wrote:
FourthReaper, please fell free to edit the article if you like.

Hmmm, I might. Still too buisy now, but I might add some info there sometime. Would have to make an account but no problem really. Thanks for telling, and ofcourse for making the article to begin with. ;)

lpfreaky90 wrote:

How peculiar. I could swear I can compile world portals without any edges and still compile. No issues for me there... Ah well, it's not that important, really.

Maps in Development:

This textures are quite nice, but i think I won't use any of the proposal use ideas (exept yhe world portals), but I think I know how to make use of your fields. But, I think I need them... er.. diffrent colored. I would change the appearance by myself, but the colour system is bit misterious:

Code: Select all
$FLOW_COLOR "[0.3 0.1 0.4]"
$FLOW_VORTEX_COLOR "[5 2.5 5]"

I'm sure this is not the the standard HTML coloring - could you help me with these? I need blue and orange.

da1 wrote:
This textures are quite nice, but i think I won't use any of the proposal use ideas (exept yhe world portals), but I think I know how to make use of your fields. But, I think I need them... er.. diffrent colored. I would change the appearance by myself, but the colour system is bit misterious:

Code: Select all
$FLOW_COLOR "[0.3 0.1 0.4]"
$FLOW_VORTEX_COLOR "[5 2.5 5]"

I'm sure this is not the the standard HTML coloring - could you help me with these? I need blue and orange.

They are floating point numbers that use the RGB colour system.
For example 255 140 0 is orange in RGB.
if you divide by 255, it makes 255 0.54 0

spongylover123 wrote:
They are floating point numbers that use the RGB colour system.
For example 255 140 0 is orange in RGB.
if you divide by 255, it makes 255 0.54 0

True, thanks for explaining that. Though I think you mean:

I just wrote:
it makes 1 0.54 0

;) Appreciate the help.

@ da1: do you know how to implement them from there? If not, I could help. If you can, feel free to edit the field vmt's in any way you like, and use them however you want. Especially if you change things like color, since it means there's no confusion among players like there is when two maps use the same field for something different.

The fact that I made these fields doesn't mean you can't make something similar yourself. Though if you use this field or a derivative of it I would appreciate being credited. ;)

Maps in Development:

Unfortunatly, when I've tryed to recolour the force deflection field to blue, the result was... Em.. Not that what I expected :-?
http://zapodaj.net/7b19553bfaca.jpg.html

Could you help me?

PreviousPage 2 of 5Next