Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Felix Griffin's Editor Mod

PreviousPage 14 of 15Next

The multivibrator will stay on forever once triggered, it's doing exactly what it's supposed to. T-flip-flops should toggle the output whenever activated.

My stuff:
[spoiler]- BEE2 Addons | (BEE2)
- Hammer Addons
Maps:
- Crushed Gel
- Gel is Not Always Helpful[/spoiler]

So what's the point of the monostable multivibrator then? As I said, it makes zero difference wether I connect one to an item or don't...

Chao?pawN wrote:
So what's the point of the monostable multivibrator then? As I said, it makes zero difference wether I connect one to an item or don't...

If you connect a floor button to a monostable to a laser, the laser will be permanently on once the button has been pressed once. It's like the "never reset" mode on a pedestal button, but it can be applied to any element or logic gate. (This is a particular type of monostable multivibrator that doesn't switch back to its original state until it's been manually reset, but I don't know a better term for it.)

With the timer, I think it's also doing exactly what it's supposed to. The timer flicks the item between the on and off states every five seconds or whatever, but I think it starts in the off position. So when you first activate it, the connected item stays off until the first "tick" has passed and the timer turns it on. I'll look into adding a "Start Reversed" checkbox to make it start in the on position instead.

Falsi sumus crusto!

Ah yes, I just figured out the point of the monostable multivibrator and it is indeed what you describe. It basically makes a temporary action into a permanent one. Can indeed come in handy to replace the otherwise needed mechanical 'switches' to make such a connection. I'm not sure either if the description "monostable multivibrator" applies, but as you say, it'll just have to do.

And yeah, it would be very handy if the timer had an option to start reversed, since the longer you make the interval, the longer the delay will be, which can cause some confusion for the player depending on how the timer was implemented. For instance, letting a player activate a timer with a long delay will most certainly result in said confusion, what with the "Why is nothing happening"-kinda questions. The way the timer works now any such design must somehow ensure that the player will stay focused on that which will eventually start cycling, which is difficult, since if nothing happens within a few seconds a player will logically assume nothing will ever happen and go look elsewhere, which will then in turn make the player miss the actual start of the cycle. This all may lead to unnecessary confusion for the player.

Chao?pawN wrote:
Ah yes, I just figured out the point of the monostable multivibrator and it is indeed what you describe. It basically makes a temporary action into a permanent one. Can indeed come in handy to replace the otherwise needed mechanical 'switches' to make such a connection. I'm not sure either if the description "monostable multivibrator" applies, but as you say, it'll just have to do.

A better monostable would have a timer widget, which determines how long it stays on before going back to the stable state. If someone hasn't already done that I can see about building one, but right now I'm focusing on the vacuum tubes.

Falsi sumus crusto!

Hey Felix, would you perhaps be interested in taking a look at something I made with the help of BEEMOD2 items, your timer item among others? I know I know, the last thing you need is people asking you to test their stupid map for them. However let me just say this:

* I have put almost a 1000 hours into the puzzle maker, made about 15 complex maps (both singleplayer and co-op) without having ever published a single one because I'm too much of a perfectionalist and keep changing or remaking maps from scratch to make them even better.
* Most of my maps were made before I had BEEMOD and feature lots of hidden mechanisms and timers to create complex systems and/or events using only the tools available in the vanilla puzzle maker. Thanks to BEEMOD2 I am able to build maps I never thought possible.
* The map I would like you to take a look at isn't a puzzle, it's more something that nicely showcases both the possibilities of BEEMOD2 and the possibilities for making complex systems with just the standard items. It is also something that I'm sure nobody has ever made before, and will possibly blow your mind (Or at least I hope so, cause as I said I uphold a very high standard for something I've made to even pass off as a decent map.)
* Since it's not a puzzle I can't upload it just like that, it requires a few instructions to know how to operate it. I have of course let a few of my friends test it, but I would like to have the opinion of someone of your caliber. If you find it something amazing, it'll give me enough confidence to start publishing all the maps I've been tirelessly making and improving upon.

So please be so kind as to tell me wether you can spare 5 minutes (literally only 5 are needed) to take a look at what I have made. I'll tell you what it is upon your reply!

As always many thanks for your time.

Sure, send me a PM.

Falsi sumus crusto!

I ran into another problem with the Draw Bridge item. Do I post about it here or is the Draw Bridge an item from BEEMOD and should I post it elsewhere?

Basically gels don't seem to work on them, or at least bounce gel doesn't. Haven't tested with speed gel yet.

I believe the drawbridge is Ben's.

Falsi sumus crusto!

Gel should work on the top side, but not the bottom (there's grating or panel arms there). If it doesn't work that's a bug. Which styles?

My stuff:
[spoiler]- BEE2 Addons | (BEE2)
- Hammer Addons
Maps:
- Crushed Gel
- Gel is Not Always Helpful[/spoiler]
PreviousPage 14 of 15Next