Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Community Map Project

PreviousPage 3 of 9Next
Tigger wrote:
Ok... so... :blah:

This is kind of a planning thread, what do you think would be best?

I think the less limitations the better, and if people want to play easier ones for the start and harder ones for the end, maybe a few BTS maps in there, go for it.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Sorry BTS?

Currently working on Darksiders 3.

http://wiki.thinkingwithportals.com/wik ... and_for.3F

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

??? See me after class. --msleeper Damn right you will, you sexy beast.

Anyway, I'm very interested in this project and hope to make a good contribution, maybe about the size of rainbow palace. I'll get started next month.

msleeper wrote:
This is kind of a planning thread, what do you think would be best?

I think knowing what the "story" we're wanting to tell would be good.

Is this an alternative Portal Story, ala the Portal Flash Map Pak? Are we using Glados, or creating new voices for another AI? Is this just a set of maps thrown together to prove we can map, ala a map pak?

Do we want to put this in the HL2 setting the way the Portal Flash Pack did?

Do we want to make this an early setting ala the Hurricane maps?

Do we want to make this a Post Glados map maybe? One where... the AI is gone, self destructed, post Portal, and things are broken? Maybe every map has some lost power or devices that don't work and the player has to figure out how to escape?

So THAT'S how you do that!

I think what would be best, as msleeper suggests "the less limitations the better" so those wanting to participate focus on making good quality maps that stay within the Portal theme with a variety of difficulty. Then when the maps are selected they can be arranged from easiest to difficult with of course an introductory map (with the wakeup chamber) and a finale (with some sort of boss alternative glados ending) made by designated experienced mappers. --- sorry if I'm just repeated what was already said; but I'm just running it through my head at the moment.

Sounds like a good idea if executed correctly.

"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions." -Albert Einstein

The story idea I had was pre-Portal, in the sense that you were another test subject. The game would start out as an in-game first-person movie of

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

Then the map-pack would play out as an alternate Portal, maybe go into a BTS area, but

Spoiler

are new wall, ceiling, floor etc textures allowed?

http://thespaceturkey.wordpress.com/
The following statement is false
The preceding statement is true
msleeper wrote:
The story idea I had was pre-Portal, in the sense that you were another test subject. The game would start out as an in-game first-person movie of
Spoiler

Though I love the idea of a group effort to create a good set of Portal maps, I don't think this is the optimal way to achieve the beginning of the game. I like the idea of beginning as an ordinary citizen, but rather than having the person start in an area that seems unlike those experienced in the Portal game at all, how about this instead:

Spoiler

Just my idea. Not sure if I hold much merit, but I come to this site quite often as I love to see what work is being accomplished in the Portal game. Hopefully I will eventually release my first map. The main test chambers are done and now I am working on the BTS areas (which may be more than just BTS areas.........)

However, after I finally release my map, I would love to contribute to this project. My only question is, do we want to stick entirely to the Portal theme of puzzles, or are new and original ideas allowed (by which I mean other than usual shoot portals, use cubes, dodge turrets) as long as they maintain the Portal feel to the maps?

Doomsday192 wrote:
are new wall, ceiling, floor etc textures allowed?

Yes, custom content would be allowed since it would just be packaged with the download.

Rasky_26 wrote:
Though I love the idea of a group effort to create a good set of Portal maps, I don't think this is the optimal way to achieve the beginning of the game. I like the idea of beginning as an ordinary citizen, but rather than having the person start in an area that seems unlike those experienced in the Portal game at all, how about this instead:

:blah:

Until I do some investigation, or someone who has tried before, can confirm or deny if NPCs work in Portal, we may have to scratch the idea of having other people walking around. Remember that the Portal SDK is not available, and we would basically have to make a mod to add in NPCs like that. I may be wrong though.

Rasky_26 wrote:
My only question is, do we want to stick entirely to the Portal theme of puzzles, or are new and original ideas allowed (by which I mean other than usual shoot portals, use cubes, dodge turrets) as long as they maintain the Portal feel to the maps?

Go all out, this doesn't need to be Get Some More Portal in terms of puzzle or difficulty.

PreviousPage 3 of 9Next