Please or Register to create posts and topics.

2012 Heavy-Duty Super-Mapping Super-Contest

PreviousPage 3 of 5Next
RubbishyUsername wrote:
Quote:
I can find a chat log if you want it.

Who wouldn't want to know?

I can't find the bug quote right now (I think I have the log on my USB drive at home, but the most interesting one was something about backwards funnels going through walls.)

I did find an excerpt I had saved about lightboards though. (circa the summer mapping initiative)

Quote:
3:42 PM - [Jeep]: true, good point. maybe a light board controller entity to put in the map
3:43 PM - omni: You think theres any chance of that occuring in an update or with the DLC?
3:44 PM - [Jeep]: probably a tools update at some point, we're learning a lot of stuff from the contest entries on how to make the tools better
josepezdj wrote:
Btw, which is the last day for accepting contest submissions? is it Aug.8th or 5th?

Why would it be the 8th? Does it say that somewhere? Because I'm pretty sure it says the 5th everywhere unless there's a typo.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Well, I don't know what I'm going to submit, but it definitely won't be "Revenge of the Angry Turrets 2." :lol:

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]
npc_msleeper_boss wrote:
josepezdj wrote:
Btw, which is the last day for accepting contest submissions? is it Aug.8th or 5th?

Why would it be the 8th? Does it say that somewhere? Because I'm pretty sure it says the 5th everywhere unless there's a typo.

Here it says 8th msleeper...

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

Thanks, I fixed it.

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
Omnicoder wrote:
FelixGriffin wrote:
Woo, time to finish my portal deflection map!

Are we allowed to modify PCF files, which can't be packed? For example, adding the sticky gel back into the paintblobs file?

I think the contest site is fairly clear that the final product must consist soley of a BSP file.

Quote:
Your submitted map should only consist of one single map file (one .bsp)

Quote:
Maps may contain custom assets as long as they are packed completely into the .bsp.

The rules also say that you may not use engine glitches. I asked Jeep Barnett (Portal/Portal 2 dev) and he said that the laser deflection the gel now exhibits was an unintentional bug. (and then told me a story about even stranger bugs when I told him I found it odd that such well-defined behavior could happen by accident... I can find a chat log if you want it.)

Quote:
Maps must be completed without using engine glitches of any kind.

I think this is a bit of an edge case for the glitch rule though, so that'd be something to ask msleeper about.

Wow, that's an awesome bug! I'd love to see that log if you find it again, Omni. Is the use of portal_paint_color also a glitch, then?

Falsi sumus crusto!

If it can be packed into a BSP, it's fair game.

Let's hope it'll rain the upcoming two weeks then... I'm really exited to play all the awesome maps this will generate!:D

Question: Can a map partly consist of reworked parts of an exported PTI-map? Or does it simply need to been made in hammer from scratch? I see how you don't want pure PTI-maps submitted but I like working with those 128*128 blocks and I don't wanna go around rebuilding entire chambers in vain ^^

Jepp wrote:
Question: Can a map partly consist of reworked parts of an exported PTI-map? Or does it simply need to been made in hammer from scratch?

You could try, but doing it this way would most likely give you some sort of annoying error. PTI to hammer does not mix.

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop

My best advice would be to prototype your map/puzzle in PTI and once you have it playing like you want, export it to VMF and strip it down to brushwork. Clean it up, detail it, re-place puzzle element instances, so on.

PreviousPage 3 of 5Next