You need to log in to create posts and topics.

2012 Heavy-Duty Super-Mapping Super-Contest

Now I am caught in the decision of making a map for the contest or finishing my mappack. I will probably stick to the mappack, though. It has lasted waaaay to long to delay it even further... Although I could modify one of my mappack maps and no one would ever notice.

The Aperture Alpha
A map pack coming soon. - click for more information
Image
Brainstone wrote:
Now I am caught in the decision of making a map for the contest or finishing my mappack.

I am in a nearly similar situation. What I've thought is to map one of my already drawn in paper ideas that will be for my mappack, but giving it a completely different style than my mappack's. Then, I can still use it later for the mappack by simply modifying the visuals... The advantage is that all the structure will be already mapped, and changing only the visuals won't take much long...

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]
josepezdj wrote:
Brainstone wrote:
Now I am caught in the decision of making a map for the contest or finishing my mappack.

I am in a nearly similar situation. What I've thought is to map one of my already drawn in paper ideas that will be for my mappack, but giving it a completely different style than my mappack's. Then, I can still use it later for the mappack by simply modifying the visuals... The advantage is that all the structure will be already mapped, and changing only the visuals won't take much long...

I don't see how you cant do it the same way visually as your map-pack. We are allowing custom content afterall.

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop
ChickenMobile wrote:
I don't see how you cant do it the same way visually as your map-pack. We are allowing custom content afterall.

Yeah, that's true. :D I maybe will do so.

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]
ChickenMobile wrote:
I don't see how you cant do it the same way visually as your map-pack.

Ah, I guess that answers my question in the FAQ thread. Cool, custom visuals.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Maps in Development:
[spoiler]- Penrose 04 (on hold)[/spoiler]

Awesome, this should get me back into proper mapping. Anyone else going to try an Underground themed map since that's what i'll go for, just like last year! Now that I know what texture alignment is things should go a lot more smoothly...

The Irate Pirate wrote:
Anyone else going to try an Undeground themed map since that's what i'll go for, just like last year!

... Maybe :)

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop
Thank you for visiting Thinking With Portals!

Woo, time to finish my portal deflection map!

Are we allowed to modify PCF files, which can't be packed? For example, adding the sticky gel back into the paintblobs file?

Falsi sumus crusto!
FelixGriffin wrote:
Woo, time to finish my portal deflection map!

Are we allowed to modify PCF files, which can't be packed? For example, adding the sticky gel back into the paintblobs file?

I think the contest site is fairly clear that the final product must consist soley of a BSP file.

Quote:
Your submitted map should only consist of one single map file (one .bsp)

Quote:
Maps may contain custom assets as long as they are packed completely into the .bsp.

The rules also say that you may not use engine glitches. I asked Jeep Barnett (Portal/Portal 2 dev) and he said that the laser deflection the gel now exhibits was an unintentional bug. (and then told me a story about even stranger bugs when I told him I found it odd that such well-defined behavior could happen by accident... I can find a chat log if you want it.)

Quote:
Maps must be completed without using engine glitches of any kind.

I think this is a bit of an edge case for the glitch rule though, so that'd be something to ask msleeper about.

Quote:
I can find a chat log if you want it.

Who wouldn't want to know?

Current Community Contributor status: not a community contributor. Lost it. :(