Please or Register to create posts and topics.

What are your favorite puzzle elements while playing?

Page 1 of 2Next

So I dabbled in a bit of mapping after the original Portal, and again with TF2, but college always got in the way. I'm about to graduate, which is great! Should be soon after the SDK is released.

So I was wondering, which puzzle elements people most liked playing with.

Note that High Energy Pellet is not entirely the same as Discouragement Beam, as it allows for bouncing puzzles like in the original game. Also it's more deadly, like if you want to send it down a hallway to make the player avoid it. Discouragement beams are not as scary to me.

I think I listed them all. I'm not putting emancipation grids as they're pretty much standard.

[insert visually obtrusive graphic or witty comment here]

I love all the new elements brought in by Portal 2, but I have to say the single element that made me shout out loud with amazement when I grasped the implications was the hard light bridges. Wow. I'm on my third playthrough now, I keep finishing the game and thinking "Man, I want to play with those bridges again. I'll start over."

<this signature says something else when you're not looking at it>

Light bridges are basically instant humor devices in coop. I need to play through again, this time with a few beers, and I'm sure I'm going to kill my partner about a million times on accident.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

I'd like to add the "Companion Cube" option! :P

Prok wrote:
I'd like to add the "Companion Cube" option! :P

If I were to drag a metal cube around in real-life Aperture Science testing and pretend it's a friend, I'd just won't.

Trivia: this is the very second account I registered with the nickname ASBusinessMagnet, after my YouTube channel.
ASBusinessMagnet wrote:
I'd just won't.

O_o My mind is full of fsk

I am not sure why everyone likes the Aerial Faith plates so much; I admit they are useful on occasion for making puzzles, but the other aspects more interesting, IMO.

xitooner wrote:
I am not sure why everyone likes the Aerial Faith plates so much; I admit they are useful on occasion for making puzzles, but the other aspects more interesting, IMO.

I agree, faith plates were pretty lame, I just saw them as a way to get somewhere, not really a gameplay element (though they are).

My favourite was the light bridges and lasers.

Walking when you have a portal gun sucks.

Check out my Portal 2 map, Entrapment!
http://forums.thinking.withportals.com/community-releases/entrapment-1-1-1-t2323.html

I think the later test chamber

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
that uses the faith plate, uses them really well as a puzzle element and not a means of transportation.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

I'm quite surprised how people don't seem to like the energy pellet much. I've been thinking of one puzzle that would involve using light bridges as angled pieces to ricochet an energy pellet around correctly. I hear the energy pellet has no texture in Portal 2, I wonder if we can get this working? Also I wonder if the light bridges would deflect an energy pellet or not.

[insert visually obtrusive graphic or witty comment here]
Page 1 of 2Next