Please or Register to create posts and topics.

We're Expanding into Social Networking

Page 1 of 2Next

The staff at ThinkingWithPortals is proud to announce that we're increasing the number of ways you can follow and interact with the site. We've now got several different channels on popular social networking sites open for business. They're all on display in the sidebar just over there to the left, but I'll detail them in case you don't want to move your eyes from this riveting post. You can like us on Facebook, where news announcements, screenshots of Community Spotlight maps, and other things will be posted and integrated into your news feed. You can subscribe to our channel on YouTube; look for future announcements as to the content that will be posted. In addition, follow our feed on Twitter for, again, news announcements, Community Spotlights, and other updates.

On another note, if you're one of the strong souls who still use RSS feeds, you can add the following feeds to stay updated. Take a look at the news feed, the new downloads feed, and the new topics feed.

Look forward to another Community Roundup in the very near future. We'll be covering the time since the Summer Mapping Initiative ended, so expect more brief descriptions but more highlighted downloads.

Finally, we want to thank the entire community for their continued support and participation. You all keep this site alive and kicking and are helping it grow and improve.

EDIT
There was a minor problem with the "New Downloads Feed". If you subscribed to this feed, please adjust it so that you are using the new feed. The correct feed URL is here. This has been reflected site-wide.

DOUBLE EDIT
A disclaimer: If you friend us on Facebook, for the time being we will have the same status as any other friends on Facebook. If your privacy settings are set to "Friends of Friends" visibility on something (status, photo, etc.), another person who has friended TWP may be able to see it. They will not be able to find you through our friends list, but on the off chance that person stumbles across your profile in another way the item may very well be visible to them. I'm still looking into whether the 'Friends list visible only to the staff' option removes the "ThinkingWithPortals Mapping is now friends with" status posts.

Also, don't feel it's absolutely necessary to friend us on Facebook. It's not like anything posted there won't be duplicated at least two times through the site itself and Twitter.

Scratch that, it's fixed now (it's a page instead of profile).

Now with 100% more inline comments!

Oh cool, now I can friend you on Twitter, and follow you on Facebook. :P

Actually, the only network I have is a Youtube. What do you plan to upload in the future? Reviews? highlights?

:A Little Higher: :Tornate: :Blue Portals: :Vectronic: :Youtube: :Twitter: : ModDB: :Old Sig:

The more you give, the less appreciated it will be received.

I have a google+ profile, so I can send TWP an invite if you wish me to do so.

Motanum's Website
Portal Maps - Motanum's Cheating Test [3 map pack and 2nd place winner]
Portal 2 Maps - Slanted Bridge | Main Four | Juggling | Wall Bridge
Aperture Tag - Collection ModDB

Like my work? Spare a coin? Donate via PayPal at eugenio.motanum91 [AT] gmail.com

I find it funny that you made TWP a person, not a page. Now Facebook wants me to suggest him friends.

reepblue wrote:
What do you plan to upload in the future? Reviews? highlights?

The plan is to rebroadcast videos of maps uploaded here. Me and Hober may do a coop review/playthrough video series as well.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
NuclearDuckie wrote:
I find it funny that you made TWP a person, not a page. Now Facebook wants me to suggest him friends.

The whole issue with group pages that register as friends is that, now you boss only needs to figure out that TWP is a group-as-friend and add it, then see your entire profile

Made Logic Portals in early 2008. Making diportals in 2011.
Author of Minecraft mods (MAtmos, Minaptics, NoteSlider) and Garry's Mod addons (Gunstrumental, SharpeYe, GarryWare, DepthHUD).
Hurricaaane wrote:
NuclearDuckie wrote:

The whole issue with group pages that register as friends is that, now you boss only needs to figure out that TWP is a group-as-friend and add it, then see your entire profile

Not if your privacy settings are correctly configured.

Now with 100% more inline comments!
WinstonSmith wrote:
Hurricaaane wrote:
NuclearDuckie wrote:

Not if your privacy settings are correctly configured.

Then why would it be a User page in the first place? The whole point of group pages and fan pages is to remove the hassle of privacy issues.

I did set up my privacy settings, and all it did is to kill the whole point of Facebook because then for each status update you make you have to carefully choose the "list" it belongs to (which is actually what Google+ tries to address), so the whole "friends of my friends are able to see that status" doesn't work anymore.

Not only did you have to separate friends and work as different lists, but moreover, if "I may know friends of my friends" is the whole force of social networking, "friends of a group I have as a friend" is just against social networking since it's a community, and any stranger can be in the community, and the community doesn't know who is authorized to be in it.

A "user" adds friends because it knows them so we can share some of our privacy. A "community as an user" does not know who is really part of the community so it adds everyone, and shares every user's status to other user's.
This is not the way it works, the users have to declare themselves as part of a community, without the sharing part.

Made Logic Portals in early 2008. Making diportals in 2011.
Author of Minecraft mods (MAtmos, Minaptics, NoteSlider) and Garry's Mod addons (Gunstrumental, SharpeYe, GarryWare, DepthHUD).

I think we created it as a "friend" page because we weren't sure who should be the owner of it, or something. I don't even use Facebook in the first place, I'm letting Winston run the show pretty much. If it really is a big problem then I guess we can change it.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

the hills are alive... with the sound of music
Page 1 of 2Next