Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Vectronic (Playable Demo Available)

Page 1 of 2Next

It's been a while since I posted here, so I apologize logging in only to promote my creation.

So as you may or may not know, I've been working on a project that sort of tributes the game we love so much called Vectronic. I've been working on the project since late 2012 on the Source Engine. Earlier this year, I made the decision to port it to Leadwerks 3, which allows total freedom of distributing the project how I wish.

Vectronic is a first-person environmental puzzle game inspired other games of the same genre such as Portal, Quadrum Conundrum, and Q.U.B.E. Players must solve puzzles using special power balls that effect boxes that changes their behavior in the world.

I'm happy to announce that a playable demo is available for Windows and Debian based Linxu Distro's (Ubuntu, Mint, SteamOS), and you can get the demo here. For help running/issues, please see this page. Leadwerks uses OpenGL 4 for rendering. So make sure you have a compatible graphics card.

This is a very short but playable demo I composed to green light the idea on the new engine. Keep in mind that the demo does not reflect the final product, and was put together within 2 months. Feedback is welcomed with opened arms, and I hope to see some feed back soon!

Follow the progress on Trello!
Blog with Q&A and Help:http://vectronicgame.blogspot.com/

:A Little Higher: :Tornate: :Blue Portals: :Vectronic: :Youtube: :Twitter: : ModDB: :Old Sig:

The more you give, the less appreciated it will be received.

This looks really cool based on the videos I've seen, I'll have to check it out some time. It will be rather interesting to see a 1st person puzzle game that sorta has that portal-esque feel in a different engine.

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Camben24
Aperture Science: We do our science asbestos we can!

It's hard to comment on the gameplay because there isn't really a whole lot to comment on. The mechanics seem like they're interesting, but there's nothing that really demonstrates much depth. I guess that makes sense for an early demo, but I'd really like to see more puzzles. Onto the nitpicking!

The smoothed mouse movement feels really sluggish. I'd either make the smoothing snappier, or get rid of it entirely. I have to put in too much effort for something as simple as looking around.

Placing boxes was a bit awkward for two reasons. First of all, they stay fixed relative to your view, rather than moving out a certain distance from your camera. If you get up real close to grab a box, that box will stay really close to your face until you put it back down, which is really inconvenient. Secondly, their physics starts to panic if you try to place them "inside" of a wall. When I try to put an anti-gravity box on a wall button, I have to let go of it in the little area that causes the button to depress that isn't actually pressing up against the wall, because otherwise the button will start drifting away from the wall. Pair this with movement controls that don't let you do finesse adjustments very well, and it becomes kind of a pain.

At first I thought the different abilities were things that I had to bring cubes to, rather than something I had to pick up. I don't know how you could make that more obvious, but hey, feedback.

The overall graphical style is super washed out. I adjusted the levels on a screenshot and got this (original).

One last thing I noticed is that you can crouch while jumping, which does this really weird thing where the camera moves down while the player moves up.

Well, I finally get to play with this thing. After a few years.

im not really sure what you'll be able to do about this reepblue; but sombody seems to have used your really old punt realease to try and make a really ugly reboot out of it: http://www.moddb.com/mods/punt-rebirth

ImageImage
===========================
Im blue, a Clean Christian Furry with Autism.
tile wrote:
im not really sure what you'll be able to do about this reepblue; but sombody seems to have used your really old punt realease to try and make a really ugly reboot out of it: http://www.moddb.com/mods/punt-rebirth

Check the comments, he's ok with it Image

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

edit: holy fuggin resolution batman, added spoiler

you could have just told me instead of posting a condescending image. my day is already going terrible, thanks for being inconsiderate and making it that much worse. i was just trying to be helpful.

ImageImage
tile wrote:
you could have just told me instead of posting a condescending image. my day is already going terrible, thanks for being inconsiderate and making it that much worse. i was just trying to be helpful.

Sorry for trying to make it convenient for you, so you didn't have to click a link :/

Spoiler

quaternary wrote:
tile wrote:

Sorry for trying to make it convenient for you, so you didn't have to click a link :/

Spoiler

sorry. as i said my whole day is going terribly. i misread the image as more of a "see? look, its right here stupid!" rather than trying to make it easy to see.

ImageImage

Looks interesting. I'd be happy to give it a go.

"...those who would break the rules and laws are reguarded as scum, but those who would abandon even one of their friends, are worse than scum." -Obito Uchiha
Youtube Channel My Workshop
My Maps/Projects:

[spoiler]Maps:
RBC 1 RBC 2
Blue Walls
Converting Propulsion
One Week Creation
Secondary Fire
Flings Speed Patience
Ongoing Projects:
Alive & Kicking: Chamber 18 Secondary Fire[/spoiler]

Page 1 of 2Next