Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Valve should Balkanize the challenge map Achievements

PreviousPage 2 of 2

Honestly? I think neither is more rewarding. But I look at my gamerscore and wonder what the hell it all means, but when I look at my achievements list, and see the titles and descriptions, I think "Ah yes, I remember that, that was fun/tedious/etc"

And knocking cameras off walls is hardly saving the world :wink:

Companion Cube Chronicles WIP:
Story: 22.22222% Design: 33.33333%
Levels: 4.44444% Cake: 0.00000%
Voices: 0.0^3% in base 4
New models & Textures: ((e^28/pi*7)/0 - 42)%
Grief counseling: 111.11111%
Wroth wrote:
Honestly? I think neither is more rewarding. But I look at my gamerscore and wonder what the hell it all means, but when I look at my achievements list, and see the titles and descriptions, I think "Ah yes, I remember that, that was fun/tedious/etc"

But what's better? Like I just said, unlocking an achievment, or unlocking an achievment and being rewarded for it.

Wroth wrote:

Well actually...

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

Like I said. For me, an arbitrary increment to a number isn't much of a reward, makes no difference to me. But just having a reminder of what I've achieved is quite nice.

Companion Cube Chronicles WIP:
Story: 22.22222% Design: 33.33333%
Levels: 4.44444% Cake: 0.00000%
Voices: 0.0^3% in base 4
New models & Textures: ((e^28/pi*7)/0 - 42)%
Grief counseling: 111.11111%
Wroth wrote:

every camera you knock of the wall causes Aperture Science to waste 10 tonnes of CO2 every year.

if you complete the achievement (I haven't yet) thats something like 300tonnes of CO2 per year you save!

:wink:

I was detaching cameras from walls all through the single-player game, before I knew it was an achievement. Missed a couple that time.

But I went through a couple days ago (alt-tabbing back and forth to Robinson's guide - props) and got it done. I felt a real sense of accomplishment. Those damn cameras. So smug and whisper-quiet.

Cr00ked.

Bakc to the actual first post, i agree that my favourite it least portals, then least time, then least steps. For me, the game is all about using portals is more cunning and skillful ways, not "how can you not move."

Also, i love the achievements in general. It's what made me go for my vanilla crazy cake..

hmm cake.. :P

?But there?s no sense crying over every mistake.
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake!?

I personnally can't stand least time.
I play Portal to relax in an intelligent way, not to stess myself even more than at my work!
But least steps and least portals are perfectly fine to me, since you have all the time you want to think your next move. It is challenging, but not too stressful.

And about the achievements, I think this is really dumb, and even dangerous, to unlock features according to this. Things like the gamerscore on Xbox are concepts I greatly despise.

It gives even more advantage to "I play all the time because I have no life" players. Those guys are already advantaged by their experience in the game, and now you give them more stuff?

I can understand this in RPGs, because this collection aspect and "time means power up" are part of the genre since day one, but if all games become like that...
I fear for the social lives of a lot of people.

It is also a great waste of energy. All the time spent by those guys to get achievements even if it is not funny to them is effort lost for constructive and creative things (like, I dunno... mapping ;) ).
Well, I am not saying anything when getting those achievements is fun to the person. But "forcing" people in trying to get them is sure plain wrong.

Fortunately, for now achievements on PC version of Portal are purely optionnal, which is perfect to me. You can just ignore the locks on the achievements you didn't get and move on.

Thanks to Portal, someone's birthday is now the most feared day in the year...
NO! THE CAKE! NOOOOOOOO !
PreviousPage 2 of 2