Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Valve should Balkanize the challenge map Achievements

Page 1 of 2Next

As we demonstrated with our poll and subsequent discussion, everyone has his own ranking of the three goals in Challenge maps (Mine is Least Portals, Least Time, Least Steps). It seemed to me that most people had one they loved, one they thought was okay, and one they rather disliked.

So why is it that to get the any of the Achievements associated with Challenge maps, you have to do all three types? Currently they have the Achievements split into Bronze on All 18 Challenges, Silver on All, Gold on All. That's retarded. They should obviously split it into All Least-Portals Challenges, All Least-Steps, and All Least-Time. Then they could give these new Achievements some appropriately clever names.

I dunno if Valve can update this via Steam (or Xbox Live?), but I think they should. And definitely do this for any sequels, for crying out loud.

What do you guys think?

Cr00ked.

Hmm, not much of a bad idea, they could update it for steam since thats basically just an internet source for the game.

They could have named them something different but what they named it is well... good enough i think.

While I understand, and agree with your argument, I can kind of see why they did it the way they did. The people who created Portal worked on finding out the solutions to every challenge and wanted to give people incentive to actually complete everything. If it was set up your way, 1/3 of the challenges would just go undone since most people hate 1 kind. But people have to get their achievements, or they feel like failures!

Sure, there will be some people who will do it all to get the achievements, even if it isn't that fun for them.

Then there are people like me, not totally achievement-obsessed, and I know I'll never be able to get even Silvers (let alone Golds) in Least Steps and probably rarely in Least Time. So I'm really good at Least Portals but doing those challenges doesn't get me anything because I can't do the others too, and that sucks. That's no fun.

Should Valve's goal be extending the fun of the game or making players do everything (even the unfun parts) to get achievement points? If their goal is making it more fun, I think they should rejigger the achievements.

Cr00ked.

They need something to push us towards achievments. Such as xbox with the gamerscore.

Right now I have no reason to do the achievments.

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

What they need is an achievement MOD for coutner-strike or half-life or any FPS games.

So you start with say... a glock/usp on counter-strike.
If you get 100 head shots (not kills) then you are able to buy a mac10/tmp from the buy menu.

Then later on if you have traveled 100km then you are able to buy grenades and armor.

Something like that. :D

Grudge wrote:
They need something to push us towards achievments. Such as xbox with the gamerscore.

Right now I have no reason to do the achievments.

Isn't Live's gamerscore just as useless? At least with the achievements I get a nice feeling everytime I've earned one for doing something special, but assigning arbitrary numbers to them and adding them together doesn't really mean much to me. Especially when a lot of games give achievements just for getting through the game itself, as if that wasn't rewarding enough (A sin which even valve is guilty of).

Just my opinion of course.

Companion Cube Chronicles WIP:
Story: 22.22222% Design: 33.33333%
Levels: 4.44444% Cake: 0.00000%
Voices: 0.0^3% in base 4
New models & Textures: ((e^28/pi*7)/0 - 42)%
Grief counseling: 111.11111%

I don't like any of the challenge styles (a true statement), thus they should be removed from the game. (Socratic irony)

Reductio ad absurdum.

The point is to reward people who do it every way that Valve can imagine.

And yes, gamerscore is completely useless. It's an arbitrary number. How that's more or less compelling than achievements that show on your SteamID page is beyond me.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

I prefer least portals myself, and least time is my least favorite. But I still have 16/18 gold, just have time and steps on #17 left to do.

[insert visually obtrusive graphic or witty comment here]
Wroth wrote:
Isn't Live's gamerscore just as useless? At least with the achievements I get a nice feeling everytime I've earned one for doing something special, but assigning arbitrary numbers to them and adding them together doesn't really mean much to me. Especially when a lot of games give achievements just for getting through the game itself, as if that wasn't rewarding enough (A sin which even valve is guilty of).

Just my opinion of course.

Perhaps. But think of it this way.

"I want to tear all the cameras down so I can finally hit 3k gamerscore!"

or

"I want to tear all the cameras down so I can finally have the achievment!"

Which one is more rewarding? You're not only unlocking the achievment, you feel you're being rewarded for doing so. It's like saving the world with no thank you.

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

Page 1 of 2Next