Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[Tutorial] Filtering a trigger

Page 1 of 2Next

For years i have been unaware and confused how people manage to make it so that 1 trigger can only be triggered by certain objects such as only a storage cube and a npc_zombie.

Only recently i have discovered how to make this function which is by using a point-entity called filter_activator_name.

On all brush-entities that have the option of "Filter Name" in the list, this is what only can trigger the entity including the flags in the brush-entity.

The way to make a filtered trigger is by creating a point-entity and make it a filter_activator_name and change the Filter_Name to the name of the entities you wish to activate the trigger.

If you want multiple entities with different names to activate the trigger then put in an asterisk ( * ) to where you want the rest of the entities to pass through; such as if the Filter_Name was Prop*, then anything with the name Prop at the beginning of it's name will pass through.

Below is a small graph of what only can pass the filter if the Entities beginning of the name is Prop.

What about *prop*? Would that effect "NPC_prop_funk"?

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

Any entity that has their name beginning with prop will will pass the filter.

EDIT:
Not sure if the *prop* will work, never tried it.

I'm guessing * is a simple wildcard, so it ought to work (though I haven't tried it).

Link, mah boi, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!

*prop* would work, the filtering system works just like any other wildcard selection. You could also do something like "room_lock_0?_sprite" and use the question mark as a single character wildcard.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

I didn't know that symbol.

We need a topic for all these wild card and console commands sch as !self and so on... i would make it but i'm off to bed now so i'll make it tomorrow if no one else has ;)

what is the activator name if the player activates a trigger?

What? Can you rephrase the question, please?

Link, mah boi, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!

Why does this need a tutorial? All you will ever need to know about this can be found over at developer.valvesoftware.com

http://www.dpgames.co.uk/

Sanity is not statistical.
linus wrote:
what is the activator name if the player activates a trigger?

!player and anything that activates it is !activator

Page 1 of 2Next