Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Try Anything Twice

PreviousPage 5 of 9Next
NeatNit wrote:
I suppose this can be called a spoiler
Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

Ah, now I see what you mean by "scripted". I thought it was referring to some sort of programming :)
Because of game engine limitations, the speed gained from the accelerator is not maintained across portals. So I added 'pushers' at designated exit points to simulate the effect. So it is indeed scripted in the sense that it only works in the situations where I designed it to work. (Adding pushers for all possible portal placements would stress the game beyond its limits, unfortunately.)

NeatNit wrote:
Cheating and more stuck-getting
Spoiler

I'm not sure if giving it another try will help me... Did I break the game somehow or am I just missing something?

Don't worry, I don't think you broke the game.

Infernet89 has made a great video of this map pack. It's speedrun style, but you can see the correct solution for that part. (It's around the 17:00 minute mark.)
There's a tricky part coming up after that, so if you get stuck there, just keep watching ;)

@KennKong: That one part must be seriously hard with a controller; I completely understand why you skipped that.

You have a valid point about the

Spoiler
Unfortunately these assumptions never work out for absolutely everyone, since every player observes and explores their surroundings in a different way.

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic
HMW wrote:
NeatNit wrote:
I suppose this can be called a spoiler
Spoiler

Ah, now I see what you mean by "scripted". I thought it was referring to some sort of programming :)
Because of game engine limitations, the speed gained from the accelerator is not maintained across portals. So I added 'pushers' at designated exit points to simulate the effect. So it is indeed scripted in the sense that it only works in the situations where I designed it to work. (Adding pushers for all possible portal placements would stress the game beyond its limits, unfortunately.)

Interesting. What are the engine limitations? I thought momentum and speed are reserved across portals, so it's stange that when doing this they're not.

HMW wrote:
NeatNit wrote:
Cheating and more stuck-getting
Spoiler

I'm not sure if giving it another try will help me... Did I break the game somehow or am I just missing something?

Don't worry, I don't think you broke the game.

Infernet89 has made a great video of this map pack. It's speedrun style, but you can see the correct solution for that part. (It's around the 17:00 minute mark.)
There's a tricky part coming up after that, so if you get stuck there, just keep watching ;)

Thanks for that link!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7387-vYAeM&t=17m38s (if the link doesn't send you there automatically, go to 17:38)
Is this the proper way to get up there? Seems pretty cheatery to me :/ (this is what I had to do because I couldn't figure out any other way out of the area)
Also I didn't pass that part the way it was designed and I see now what I was supposed to do. Oh well :)

Edit: Oh I think I realised what the proper way is!

NeatNit wrote:
Interesting. What are the engine limitations? I thought momentum and speed are reserved across portals, so it's stange that when doing this they're not.

I use trigger_push entities to speed up the player. There are other ways to make the player move, but this turned out to be the most reliable / least glitchy. The only negative is this instant speed loss through portals, which is why I made another trigger_push take over once you exit the portal.

Another screwy thing with this entity is that, while it is possible to rotate it in-game, the pushing direction vector doesn't rotate with it, so I couldn't make just one exit-pusher that moves with the exit portal. I had to make separate ones for every place and direction where a player might get launched out of a portal.

NeatNit wrote:
Is this the proper way to get up there? Seems pretty cheatery to me :/

Ehhh... no. I forgot that he did it that way :)

The intended way is to

Spoiler
I'll leave it at that for now ;)

Just finished first run-through; what an experience! A fun and challenging addition to the portal collection.

Spoiler

Keep up the good work! :thumbup: :notworthy: I can't wait for some portal 2 maps. Will you be focusing on single player or co-op?

Thanks! You did pretty well if the only thing you had to look up was that last room.
That one's pretty out of the box. [/incrediblylamepun]

The map I'm working on now is single player. I haven't played much co-op yet.

I thought it was about time I played this one since I remember when you posted screenshots in the showcasing thread.

Absolutely stunning! This map can be truly described with the word epic - it's got a sprawling size, breath-taking detail and scenery, and, most importantly, ingenious puzzles. I may have spent about 3 hours on the whole thing.
You should have seen the grin on my face when I saw how huge the last chamber was :D And you've got to love those

Spoiler
While I can't think of any thing bad to say about it, a few things stuck in my mind at the end. It wasn't a problem to me, but if it is for you, in the room with the treadmill, I did not have to use the button that tilted the sphere in the tube. It wasn't until later that I figured out what it was supposed to be for, I could easily push the cube to the button without it. And I'm not entirely sure about those ladders at the end. I didn't even know they were ladders at first (they weren't really used in Portal, except for that broken one). That could have just been me being dumb, I did accidentally overcomplicate a few parts. I felt lame getting stuck at the very end while I was still thinking in terms of flinging.

Picture that. In your dreams.
Maps:
SP MonoPortal | Lesson 0
WIP: LaserLock Preview Images

Hey hmw? What's an average time to beat the whole pack? Because kizzycocoa claims he beat the entire mappack in 2 hours, which I don't believe at all, as I took over 2 hours for the final map alone...

[EDIT]

BTW I love your style, very very diverse and unique, I'm gonna steal some of your style ideas for a map, k? :thumbup:

Portal 1.5 http://www.moddb.com/mods/portal-15

Wow man, wow. This is by far the best user-made Portal 1 or Portal 2 map I have ever played. The map had such a cool atmosphere, and it felt like a brand new game - the game that should have come between Portal 1 and Portal 2. I loved all of the new elements, and you just felt like a badass when you solved one of the puzzles. I had so much fun with this, and I spent a lot of time playing it. Some of the solutions were quite hard! Thanks for a creative, new, fun Portal map! I had a such a blast playing it that when I wasn't playing it, I was thinking about it in my head. Awesome job man :)

Well, my friend, I just would like to say thanks for this map.
It was a really great one, I enjoyed it really :)

Again, thanks for all the nice words guys!

Random wrote:
It wasn't a problem to me, but if it is for you, in the room with the treadmill, I did not have to use the button that tilted the sphere in the tube. It wasn't until later that I figured out what it was supposed to be for, I could easily push the cube to the button without it.

Not a problem; it's a creative alternate solution. In fact, for upcoming maps I'm trying to work towards more open puzzles where there's a number of ways to solve them, instead of designing a Single True Solution and blocking off all alternatives. (More like the advanced maps in Portal 1.) It increases the chance for any given player to come up with a satisfying solution that works well for them.

Random wrote:
And I'm not entirely sure about those ladders at the end. I didn't even know they were ladders at first (they weren't really used in Portal, except for that broken one). That could have just been me being dumb, I did accidentally overcomplicate a few parts. I felt lame getting stuck at the very end while I was still thinking in terms of flinging.

The ladders were a bit of a gamble. I would have liked to have used stairs of some sort, but that would have been a lot harder to make. (Remember that any additional parts have to somehow fit inside that central area until the final transformation of the room.)

yohoat9 wrote:
Hey hmw? What's an average time to beat the whole pack? Because kizzycocoa claims he beat the entire mappack in 2 hours, which I don't believe at all, as I took over 2 hours for the final map alone...

That's hard to say. To avoid possible excrement weather formations, I don't want to comment on Kizzycocoa's claim specifically. However, the time of the first play-through for creative-thinking maps like these depends largely on how long it takes one to get the "a-ha moment" for a puzzle, and this can vary a lot between players. There are some places where, if the coin drops at the moment you walk through the door, you'll be out of there in under a minute. However, if it doesn't, and you have to go try different things, it can take a lot longer.

PreviousPage 5 of 9Next