Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Try Anything Twice

PreviousPage 4 of 9Next

Congrats on the spotlight!

Awesome Map!!!

Edit:

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

About time it got spotlighted! :) "Try Anything Twice" is like the alpha and the omega of P1 modding. I'm not even exaggerating that much: sure, the scene didn't lack in genius projects but such an herculean endeavor to encompass so much for so long happens only once in a lifetime. Do yourself a favor and play it.

the hills are alive... with the sound of music

Haven't yet had a chance to finish this one due to outside factors, but I'm currently at chamber 4.

There were a lot of times in here when I forgot this was a Portal 1 map pack and not Portal 2. This is the first set of custom Portal 1 maps where I can honestly say I've enjoyed it thoroughly (tried plenty of others, all of them broken in some way). Very polished, excellent use of existing puzzle elements in new ways (still can't believe no Valve map in either game has relied on the Edgeless Safety Cube's rolling capabilities as part of the solution) and a great new element in the

Spoiler
. The best part is, absolutely zero of that bizarre reliance on engine glitches or stupid hidden exploits found in 97% of other Portal 1 maps! :P

Fun all the way through - difficult for one map, near impossible for 5 in a row. Well done sir. :thumbup:

There is no "N" in "Turret."

Thanks for all those kind comments guys! When I uploaded the first version containing chamber 5, I was a bit afraid that everyone would have moved on to Portal 2, and that my work wouldn't get much attention. I certainly wouldn't have thought that it would become a spotlight! That's totally sweet :)

And of course this happens just when I decide to take a short break from the forums because of other things needing my time... So thanks, Mevious, for filling in for me in the meantime :thumbup:
(By the way,

Spoiler
)

ddeo wrote:
Also, you motivated me to start studying and making something in Hammer editor too. :)

Cool! I'm inspiring people :)
Mapping is a lot of fun (except for some occasional :notwant: moments), and learning it is fun too, as long as you don't try to reach for the stars right away. (As mentioned in plenty of other places on this site, the Valve mapping wiki is your friend.)

Valthiel wrote:
Spoiler

Oh I'm ok with that. I put the extra wall in only to 'slightly discourage' that solution. It's not much of an exploit since you still need to get

Spoiler

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic

HMW - Really great to see that you finished the map set. Number 5 is a fitting masterpiece capstone for the other four. I had to remember how to run a portal 1 map. Then what a treat this map is...consistent with your mapping, no gimmicks just complex puzzles. Maybe just a bit too complex - not sure if guidance would have helped reduce frustration - maybe? ...Still I got to the end.... The posted run(s) should help anyone who is really stuck....
a 5 rating? -- should be a 7 of 5!... this truly is a portal community spotlight map. thank you for persevering with P-1.!!

Wow! Seriously, the concept is amazing. The new elements based on existing elements, very cool. The fact that you made it work 5 times, unbelievable!

I am stuck, though.

Not sure which chamber it is. 4 or 5, I think. It's the one that starts with an

Spoiler
Stuck-getting
Spoiler

From here, I see no way to continue.

I'm pretty much done for today, so I'll try again tomorrow, but I don't think I can get past this without help.

Edit: It's tomorrow. I played it a bit, found what I was missing (I hate not seeing small white walls) and am now in chamber 5. Quite stuck, but I think I'll get through this one. I'll post here if not. :)

I LOVE those speedy things. Too bad they're scripted :(

EDIT: I see you figured that out already; congrats :thumbup:

Let me know if you need any more help :)

ANOTHER EDIT: The "speedy things" are 100% map-entity based. Check the source VMF if you want to see how they work ;)

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic

I suppose this can be called a spoiler

Spoiler

Cheating and more stuck-getting

Spoiler

I'm not sure if giving it another try will help me... Did I break the game somehow or am I just missing something?

I try to refrain from "me too" posts; only commenting if I find a bug or have a suggestion :blah: . But these maps are just too fantastic to sit idly by without heaping praise on their maker :notworthy: .

It took me three days to get through all of these, and I didn't get stuck even once. Considering how I stumbled around, that's amazing! Sure, I used some quick saves to avoid having to use the resets, but only after using the reset once.

I handicap myself by playing with a controller instead of a mouse, so the pointy-shooty bits can give me trouble. However, the only puzzle I noclipped past was

Spoiler
. While an extra second or two might have helped, the real sticking point for me was hitting
Spoiler
. It was hard to hit just standing there, let alone under time pressure.

I look forward to playing these maps again and again. Sheer genius!!!

EDIT 10/9/2011: In the fifth chamber, there are gaps in the glass floor of the main chamber that you can see through but not shoot through. I wouldn't have spent as much time looking down if those panels were flush with their surroundings.

Expand for my full signature
[spoiler]My YouTube Channel: Please subscribe!
My Steam Workshop Check out my collections for some good maps
Basic Mod for playing .vpk files Needs to be updated for dlc2, but still works[/spoiler]
PreviousPage 4 of 9Next